Monday, December 7, 2009

Vegas Prep Week

Headed to Vegas this weekend to reunite with my partners in crime, Shane and Tim. So after shockingly seeing my weight balloon up quite a few lbs., I finally found decent motivation to get my fat butt up and start running decently again. Finally got in a good weekend of running, so here we begin:

Friday, decided to do a couple runs since I missed Thursday's workout. Ran at lunch at work in hilly Maryland Heights, and didn't really push too terribly hard. Did a loop around my office - weather was cold and windy, and I was tired. The hills here are long and steep, so it was quite the workout. Happy to get it over with, but felt kind of beat up. Total mileage: ~6 miles - no idea the splits, but guessing in the 8 minute range. Run 2 - went over to my buddy Dave's apt. over in U City. I beat him there, but he left me a key so I could change and get on my way to run. I have run a route there before in the past, and was just in that area for my movie screening, so just looped around the neighborhood and Washington University campus. Was still really cold, but having a ton of houses and trees blocking the wind so felt good. Total mileage: ~ 4 miles - once again, all in the 8-9 minute range.

Went out over in Central West End area, had a late night and was regretting scheduling our long run on Saturday. We had a couple extras to our group - Mike and Tom (Crystal's coworker who had run with us before), so was nice to have the extra company. Weather was windy and cool, but sunny. We did the Glen Carbon Trail to Meridian, then looped around the neighborhood to tack on some more miles. Felt pretty sluggish starting out, but got more into it later. Hit Meridian and wasn't too bad so went with it. Got back onto the main road which is not as sheltered, so battled the wind a bit which made it 20 times colder. Came back through Meridian, which is much better going back because it's net downhill. Last big hill sort of sucked, but battled through it. Got back onto the main trail, and was certainly getting fatigued from the run. Last mile, was coasting through and Crystal started to pick it up true Paula style. Mike asked me, "is she really doing this?!" and we picked up the surge leaving Tom behind. Well, competitive instincts took over, slowly sped up, then kicked the last quarter. Last mile was blazing fast which I guess is good. Felt good overall, was tired from the run but happy to get in some good distance. Total mileage: 14 miles - splits were: 8:58. 8:59, 8:13, 8:43, 9:50, 8:45, 8:48, 8:35, 8:16, 8:15, 8:38, 8:28, 8:38, 6:43.

Ate a huge meal, crashed out for a while, then headed over to Nick's house for a long day/night of football and beer. Slept most of Sunday, woke up to watch football, then dragged my useless carcass over to Pat and Crystal's to get in a small, easy recovery run. Did 4 miles on the trail, didn't bring a watch, felt pretty good but certainly tired. Awesome week of running - got in 45 miles, and intend on keeping this train rolling while I can!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment