Thursday, December 17, 2009

Leaving Las Vegas

and recovering big time. I am pretty behind in updates, so let's get right to it. First, Ryan Hall is running a couple of the early Rock n Roll races this year - PF Chang's in Arizona (Deena Castor is doing this as well), and the Mardi Gras 1/2. I actually am considering doing a spring 1/2 for Boston prep, so kind of mulling the idea of making an NO trip. Another option would be Shamrock 1/2 in March over in Virginia Beach, so I'll figure something out.

Well, Vegas was a big mess as usual, but so much fun. Nonstop drinking, gambling, and all around debauchery. Was awesome to see Shane, Tim, Marc, and Josh again, as well as the rest of their crew. I ran 0 miles on Thursday, 0 miles on Friday, 0 miles on Saturday, and a whopping 0 miles on Sunday for an impressive 12 miles last week. Monday, pretty much was dead so didn't do much. At night, attempted to quit feeling sorry for myself, so did a late night run. Felt like death, weather was cold and windy. There isn't much to say other than it seemed like it was never going to end. Did a loop around Glen Carbon, legs were beat mainly from lack of sleep over the weekend. Total mileage: 6 miles - no watch, no concept of time and could have been anywhere in the mid 7's to high 8 minute range.

Tuesday, came home to receive a package from Brooks - my new Adrenaline GTS 10's came in!!! Was FREEZING outside, but it's a new pair of shoes so had to give it a whirl. After a few more days, I will give a more thorough review, but I was pleased to see the shoe was lighter and I really like the sleeker design. Was strapped for time since I was going to the Blues game with Jessica later, so just wanted to get in a quick 2 miles. Shoes felt pretty snug, but good, and did an out and back to the trail. First half, felt pretty good and was moving about 7 minute pace which felt surprisingly easy. At that point, had somewhat warmed up to the 15-20 degree conditions, so picked it up a bit. At the turn around, decided to give it a hard effort and try to hit low 6's. Coming back is net uphill and just in general hilly so not the easiest. Could tell that my legs were just plain tired from lack of rest, so tried to push through it. Didn't want to kill myself on the last hill, so was aggressive but laid back. Very pleased to see the last mile split. Total mileage: 2 miles - splits were: 6:39, 5:55.

Wednesday, procrastinated around when I got home, didn't get in a run till late when I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and run to Jared's so I could hang out with him since we hadn't in forever. He lives about 2.5 miles away, so jogged there and back. Felt like I was going fast, but have no idea. Both legs took less than 20 minutes, so was somewhere in the 7 minute range. Legs felt ok, lungs were on fire from the cold air and possibly my cold. Total mileage: ~5 miles.

So here I am, trying to motor through a good week before the holiday travels, so hopefully I can keep up. Aiming for a long run this weekend (~16 miles), so would be pleased to hit that. Going to officially start my half marathon training in hopes of hitting sub 1:25 next year, so time for speed, speed, and more speed!

Jess and I at my movie premiere!

Tim, Shane, Marc, and I right before winning in roulette


99 cent Newcastles = bad news

At Red Square in Mandalay Bay, best vodka bar

No comments:

Post a Comment