Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thursday Morning Ramblings

I came across this on Runner's World this morning, and absolutely LOVE this picture. It pretty much summarizes my running career to this point, and why I can't seem to quit running these marathons!!! In a nutshell, Wile E. Coyote has finally caught his trophy (the Roadrunner), and has since then rendered himself completely useless, boozing it up on his couch and watching t.v. while completely falling out of shape. It's almost like "what now?" While I have had one perfect opportunity to end at the top of the mountain ('07 NYC Marathon), I immediately dismissed that notion and kept forging on and have since then set new, more aggressive goals for myself. I do realize the end of my current crazy regimen is in sight, and I certainly hope when that happens that I don't suffer the fate of our friend, Wile E. Coyote!

Last night, immediately passed out upon coming home from work. Woke up around 7:30, and dragged myself out for a quick, easy run. Didn't bring a watch, kept the pace very honest and did an out and back on a somewhat hilly route. Weather was windy and HUMID (ended up with some insane storms overnight!!!). My body was in a completely lethargic state and my legs were feeling pretty tired from the last week, so definitely was trying to keep Paula's advice of 40 minutes recovery run. It was funny that my body is so used to pushing myself, and I'm trying to keep a pretty slow pace while my body is just tired and worn out, yet I could feel my legs want to kick for that harder pace and found myself slowing down so many times. Ended up settling down eventually, got in around 4.5 total with warmup/cooldown. I have no idea of the pace or time, as I was sidetracked talking to neighbors immediately after my run, but I'm guessing around 35-40 minutes total? Minor stretching, then played poker/drank beer (doh!) with my neighbors afterwards, and found myself wishing I was an undergrad again with very little responsibilities other than school and where I was drinking at the next night!

Tonight, playing golf with a couple friends after work, then tempo run. Playing around with ideas on tonight's workout, seeing a 10K is possibly approaching in early June...

No comments:

Post a Comment