Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Recovery Runs



I found this video off of another running blog post (sorry for stealing it!) but since there is so much truth to it, I thought I would post as well. Paula Radcliffe is pretty much the greatest female distance runner of our generation, so whatever she says is probably right :) I typically have problems taking it easy on runs and end up with frequent burnout mentally and physically, so I am trying to avoid that as much as possible this time around. Pat brought it up the other night in conversation that he thought I might be overtraining, and while I argued that the mileage I was running now was the same I typically would be running, I did see some truth to his statement since I have been pushing myself pretty hard. Crystal and I discussed further last night, and decided to take a week off after this cycle in preparation for our 12 week marathon plan. The week off should definitely rejuvenate us mentally and physically and seeing we are in decent shape now and running a ton for the next couple months, I don't think we will lose too much fitness from a much deserved break.

Yesterday, Pat, Crystal, Shane, and I went out on an easy run on the trails. We picked an out and back loop on a different part of a trail that is pretty flat. Weather yesterday evening was gorgeous - 70, sunny, and a slight breeze. Went out at a conservative pace - Pat and Crystal turned around at 1.5, Shane and I went a half mile more. Realized it was later that we thought, so picked it up a bit on the way back in. Last mile was a little work for me, but Shane looked really smooth. Found out later that Pat took off on the way in, pushing it to sub 8 minute pace - he is getting a lot stronger, and is in great shape during this prep work before his marathon training cycle begins. Total workout was 4 miles - splits were: 9:02, 8:57, 7:18, 6:48 (oops!).

Afterwards, headed back to Shane's for a quick dinner, then to Pat and Crystal's for ping pong on their new table! Tonight, Biggest Loser finale, and speedwork (7Xhills at ~5K pace). Legs are feeling pretty tired, so not going to get too out of control for this workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment