Tuesday, March 20, 2012

St. Pat's Race Recap

NYC half, Michael Wardian continues to win.

Crappy week of running with a bum knee, which started to bother me on Monday during my run. Kept running to a minimum and felt ok for Saturday's race. But not my best showing by any means. Regardless, I owe you a recap, so here we go:

Monday, March 12th - 4.5 miles + drills and strides. Ran group run with Crystal and Matt, then went to DuBurgh for drills and strides. My left knee was feeling weird - felt like my kneecap was jammed, so I was feeling some discomfort. Tried to work it out, and didn't really feel it too much on the way back.

Tuesday, March 13th - 4 miles. I don't remember this. I remember pushing my track work back a day and getting something in, but definitely was less than 6?

Wednesday, March 14th - 3 miles. Wanted to do mile repeats, and waited to the last possible second to get this done. Jogged down to Village Circle and started my workout, but felt the knee thing again. Quit a quarter mile into it, then jogged home. Was pretty bummed.

Thursday, March 15th - 6 miles. Ran solo after work. Knee was bugging me at the beginning but seemed to run it out. No swelling, which is a good sign. Foam roller and stretching galore.

Friday, March 16th - 3 miles. Ran with Megan, Crystal, Pat, and Marc. HOT outside - poop. Not much to say, praying I could hold up for 30+ minutes tomorrow at St. Pat's.

Saturday, March 17th - 7 miles (1 up, ST. PAT'S PARADE RUN (32:07), 1 down). Drove down bright and early to the Big River tent for the annual St. Pat's run, and got set up. A hot day - race morning temps in the 70's, so unideally warmer than usual. Warmed up with Mike, and felt some knee pain and stop and stretched it out which I think it did the trick. Got hooked up with a great corral placement, and lined up with the racing team and did some strides to try to loosen up. Felt pretty good, and was ready to go to work. Started out with Crystal, Sunny, and Coach Tim, and got out pretty quickly. Felt amazing after the first mile, but went out slightly fast and tried to tone it down. However, toned it down too much, and really fell back on the Market street hill which tore me up. Couldn't really recover, and definitely got morally defeated when I saw my 5K split (19:40) which meant I was way off. On the way back down Olive, fell back into a small group and worked with them on the way in. Saw I was going to be close to 32 minutes, so kicked to break 32 minutes. Made a huge mistake of stopping at the first mat at the end (not the finishing mat), and started walking before realizing my huge mistake. Costed me close to 10 seconds, and quite honestly I should have been penalized for running such a bad race. 76th overall (out of 15K) I believe, but just not good. But the positives were my knee felt good, and got in some good hill work for next week. 27.5 miles this week (UGH), 91.5 miles for March, 442.5 miles for March.

Monday, March 19th - 4.5 miles. Group run with everybody. Nice and warm outside, but really a great day to be outside. Crystal and Tim ran with me pretty slow. Ran for 36:54 overall, felt ok. Knee was bothering me early on, but was ok towards the end.

Nice and easy today, then going to the track on Wednesday for some work. Leaving for Chi on Friday afternoon, and looking forward to a great race!

No comments:

Post a Comment