Monday, March 12, 2012

AOH 5K Race Recap

Mo Trafah - USA 15K champ, Lagat wins 3000 meter World Indoors with another devastating kick, and Ed Cheserek runs the New Balance indoor games.

Thursday, March 8th - 5.5 miles. Did a St. Pat's course preview with Pat, Crystal, Craig, John, Mike, and Candace after work. They changed the route again so it actually goes south and weaves around before getting to the wonderful hills of Market. Instead of turning onto Compton then coming back to the city on Olive, we turn on Garrison and weave through that area before coming back into the city. Basically, the course is pretty hilly throughout, more turns than before, but a decent ending which is pretty flat. Nice night to run outside, and had a great time with the group. Watched the Killer C's disappear very quickly from the beginning of the run, and we formed our own "chase pack" and ran it in. Had a delicious burger at Bailey's afterwards - yummy! Ran high 8/low 9 minute pace for the run.

Friday, March 9th - 7.5 miles (A.M. 2.5 miles up, 2x1 mile; P.M. 3 miles). Got out to the track early to a small speed session with Crystal, since I had flaked out on speedwork all week. Legs felt pretty rested and antsy, so figured a mile or 2 hard on the track at 5K pace would be an easy workout to do. Crystal had 5x1 mile repeats, so jumped in on reps 1 and 3 and worked with her before leaving to get ready for work. Felt ok, but was definitely working harder than I would have liked which made me a bit nervous. Wind was a slight factor (10-15 mph winds ugh), but not nearly as bad as the tornado-like conditions we had been experiencing as of late. Crystal was a machine, and was hitting splits pretty evenly which made it easier for me. Since I missed out on a cooldown, did 3 miles easy after work at a pedestrian pace. Hit the first mile in low 8's, then geared back big time to make sure I was jogging. Mile splits were: 5:54, 5:57.

Saturday, March 10th - 4 miles. Absolutely perfect day outside, and got in a small run later in the afternoon before trivia that night. Met with Crystal and ran to run Megan in, who was finishing her 17 miler. Sunny and 60's - just perfect! Talked with Megan about my goals for tomorrow's 5K - felt that I had done some good work, and should be in 18:40's shape, possibly 18:30's. But if I didn't break 19, it would be a huge disappointment. Anything better than last year - one of my most disappointing races ever.

Sunday, March 11th - 8 miles (1 up, AOH 5K 18:39 (6th place overall?), 2 down, 2 p.m.). Time change screwed up my system as the early morning came a bit too early. Sucks when you have to get up, and it's still dark outside! Got changed and headed over to Shiloh, IL for the 13th Annual AOH Top of the Hibernian 5K - one of my favorite races, and a rust buster. Legs felt pretty decent - Mike and I met up and warmed up very quickly before getting settled in the start. Started out decent, and was running into a slight headwind (good for later since we would be running downwind coming in) before settling into pace. Had a group sitting on me, so weaved out to the side and let a few come up front so we could all work together. Talked quickly with Rich Luers (fast local runner) to see what he was trying for today, then got into a small pack with 3 others as we worked up the long hill before the turnaround. One of the guys in our pack had joined us about 3/4 of a mile in, and kept elbowing me, presumably to work into our group. I almost shoved him over - wide road, and he didn't need to be in my lap to run with me. Anyways, first mile split was right where I wanted it to be - Harry Senaldi made a move to get up front, so followed behind him. There was a clock at the turnaround, and my heart sank when I saw 9:31 which meant I was way off pace (found out later that this clock was off). So concentrated on finishing strong, and continued to work with Harry and the kid who kept elbowing me. The downhill and downwind was pure heaven, as we flew back down and I felt pretty good at this point. Made the turn back towards the finish at about the 2.5 mile marker, and talked with Harry to see how he was feeling. He surged a little which I covered, then I surged which he covered, then waited till about a quarter mile out before kicking. Was making some ground on Rich, but too little time to catch him and coasted in for the finish - 6th overall and 2nd in my age group. Cooled down with Pat and Crystal, then went back to hang out with some friends at the post race party. Pretty happy with my time, and definitely had more in the tank which was a good sign. Splits indicated that I probably could have went out harder, but I'll take it. Lunch at some awesome Thai place in Fairview Heights, then home for a monster nap. Small 2 mile jog late at night - delayed till late because of the rain, but nice to get in regardless. 5K watch time was 18:39 (officially 18:30 - not sure that was correct) - splits were: 5:55, 6:13, 5:46. 44 miles this week, 64 miles for March, 415 miles for 2012.

So a solid race to begin my racing season (not counting my debacle at Houston). St. Pat's this week, so trying to strategize what I can do there. Group run tonight, track work tomorrow, then a whole lot of easy running until the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment