Friday, July 30, 2010

New Addition

Andrew Wheating signs with Nike! Not a big surprise - he went to University of Oregon and currently resides there. He ran the 800 for the U.S. in 2008 Beijing Games and is a stud - looking forward to a successful running career from him for years to come. He's had a solid season thus far, and will undoubtedly flourish as he continues to work hard.

Wednesday, crapped out on the early workout plans due to general soreness, and because of some issues didn't get in a run until super late. Because I had tempo on Thursday and really wanted to hit that workout, went really easy and light. Did 2 miles, out and back around town. Pretty humid, but used to it at this point. Felt ok, stretched a ton afterwards and did some corework and light weights.

Thursday, wanted to do my tempo in the morning when it was nice, but completely slept through my alarm because of general lack of sleep. My smoke detector decided to be evil, and started going off every 15 minutes starting at midnight. After laying around for an hour, tried to figure out the problem and basically lost a ton of sleep in the process. So basically dragged @ss all day, then went over to Pat and Crystal's treadmill to try to hit my tempo run. Not a good tempo treadmiller traditionally, but Crystal had sent me good karma by nailing her workout so felt I could do the same. Left hammie was acting up, but felt ok otherwise. Jumped right into the workout sans warmup (no time), probably not the best idea. Felt tired, but eventually got into a groove. Was watching the Jersey Shore marathon (fist pump!) and the fan blowing on me felt nice. I get bored easily on the treadmill, so started to visualize a 4 mile trail tempo run (one I have done many times). Let me tell you, this totally did the trick, as the digital LED screen numbers actually meant something now that I could visualize the course in my head. Miles ticked off pretty fast, then increased the speed on the last mile for fun. 1 mile cooldown afterwards and stretching. Total mileage: 5 miles - splits were: 6:27, 6:27, 6:27, 6:19

Was very pleased to get this done on the treadmill without any problems. I feel that was the equivalent of me hitting 6:15-6:20 on the trails (on a cooler day lol), and I felt very much in control. So my first week in forever of 2 solid speedwork has gone pretty well. Slacked a little on mileage, but not very concerned about that. Long run with Crystal tomorrow, then Sunday group recovery run should round out a very successful week!

On a side note, picking up a kitten that Jared and Nicki rescued later this weekend. Going to see if I can handle the responsibility of a pet, then maybe adopt him! Welcome to my home, Franklin!

Soooooooo cute

No comments:

Post a Comment