Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mud Mountain Week!

Was excited to see that Ryan Hall was going to make his presence at the Bix this year!!! But also read that Meb wouldn't be defending his title - he'll still be there cheering everyone on though. Considered earlier this year making the trek to Davenport for this race, but didn't pull the trigger. Instead, I'm staying local and getting in some much needed tempo work over at my old stomping ground, Mud Mountain XC 5K over at SIUE (roughly 5 minutes from my home). Should be a brutally hot day, but a good workout nonetheless!

Saturday, did a long run with Mike and Crystal. Was pretty nasty outside, and we started at 5:30 a.m. to try to beat the heat. Did out and back on the trails with the last couple at marathon pace. Felt really sluggish starting out, but we eventually sped up and got into a better rhythm. Felt ok coming back, but then started to feel like garbage the last few miles. We picked it up the last few miles, and I was just running on empty. Maybe from Friday's tempo or the sun? Really jacked it up the last half mile or so - had to will it in, was super glad that was over. Total mileage: 12 miles - don't remember splits off the top of my head, but hit 8-8:30's the first 10, then low 7's the last 2 miles.

Went to watch the Maryville Summer Sizzler 5K, which was the sight of my 5K PR last year. Mike and I considered running, but decided against it due to the heat and humidity which have been just ridiculous all week. The race is about 3 miles from my place, so pretty convenient to go watch :) Saw a few people I knew over there, but competition in the men's division was pretty weak - already kicking myself for not running! Candace was there, and figured she would win the overall. This was confirmed when she blasted away from the start and won pretty easily in a great time of 18:42! First male crossed in 19:21 - ughghgh pissed away an easy win, what can you do?

Felt like complete crap the rest of the day, and the weekend for that matter. Sunday, crapped out on my run due to morning storms and evening golf, but I guess the golf counts as a little cardio especially when considering I sweated a good 10 lbs. away. Monday, crapped out completely on the run - was all set to go on my buddy's treadmill, but it was occupied and I could never summon the urge to get back over there. But it's race week and I'll make it up eventually.

Tuesday, got a text from Candace asking if I wanted to run the Mud Mountain course with her, so decided to do the course preview that evening. Got to SIUE kind of late and jogged a couple miles before meeting up with her, then did the course. Man, it was super steamy outside and no breeze whatsoever! This was her second run of the day, and she wanted to go "slow" but of course we didn't. Saw a lot of the SIUE team running the layout, so was nice to have company. First mile is pretty fast, but then we hit the hills. Last half of the course is much more tough than the first half - a few monster hills, tight turns, and a lot of slick areas because of the rain. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I was continuously looking at my Garmin wondering when the bloody hell this tortuous run in the sauna was going to end - ugh. Blazed through the course in a pretty aggressive low 7 minute pace, which is more impressive considering the conditions and how slick it was out there. Would have easily broken 7 minute pace if it wasn't so muddy, and I was dying at the end of the run. The last half half mile is straight up a long hill, and was just counting the steps till I was done. Talked a little race strategy afterwards, then did a small hill workout to end my night. 4X30 seconds over in a local neighborhood that has a pretty decent hill, got attacked my mosquitos all night long. Total mileage: 6 miles - splits were: 8:20, 8:30, 7:11, 7:09, 7:03.

Wednesday, supposed to do an a.m. run, but pushed it back to the evening. Got out in the late afternoon when it was raining, and ran in the blissful coolness. I swear I can run in the rain forever! Was kind of funny when it stopped raining (about a quarter mile left), the sun came out, then you could immediately see all the steam rising as the temps got higher. Met up with Pat and Crystal afterwards at the track to do drills. Jogged a half mile warmup, then did our regular drills. Crystal added in a couple sets of plyos, which I had some problems with trying to maintain balance, but it will be easier next time. Drills are getting a lot easier, and I am concentrating more on correct form at this point, and not worrying so much about my legs getting thoroughly destroyed. Definitely had some tired legs at the end, not advisable to do mileage before 45+ minutes of drills. Total mileage: ~6 miles. Mosquito bites: ~10

Long run with Mike (and possibly Crystal) tonight, then enjoying my day off before Mud Mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment