Saturday, April 24, 2010

Boston Reflections

Here are a few quick thoughts about this last weekend and the Boston Marathon:

1) I will be back in 2011, as I am qualified for the 115th Boston Marathon as well. I am officially announcing this, barring any freak injuries/incidents (knock on wood). Tim, get qualified, this is probably going to be my last Boston as I have no plans to run a hard marathon in the near future.

2) On that tangent, I will see you again Wellesley girls :) That was a pretty crazy scene, and it's difficult to explain in words that experience. You could literally hear the roars a mile past that section, and it was just insane! I'll be back, and bringing more friends this time. Yes, this means you, Tim!

3) The Boston race experience is absolutely all I would thought it would be, and more. The city is so passionate about this event, and the people are absolutely amazing. The spectating was out of control, despite not having the sheer mob-like numbers like New York or Chicago, and I was completely awestruck running through downtown. The intensity and passion were palpable, and I ran pretty much the last 8 miles of that race getting chills from the experience. It felt like I was floating down Boyleston down that final stretch. One of my greatest experiences in life ever :)

4) I had a lot of anxiety going into this race with the inconsistent training segment, but was proud to have run a decent race where I didn't kill myself, and run a very solid time. It was very special to run this race with Shane and Crystal, whom we all qualified together in Chi 09, and I was ecstatic to have Shane run with us for over 14 miles as that was not his plan whatesover - hopefully that didn't take away from his race experience to run a lot harder than he planned. I'm especially proud of Crystal for running a smart race, and really digging deep towards the end when she was struggling. Unless you've been there, you have no idea how bad your mind and body are working against you in that situation, and it takes strength beyond strength to power through that. Was especially poignant to run the entire race with her, and cross the finish line together with our hands in the air. It was very fitting, as we have trained for almost 3 years straight together, and hopefully more to come.

5) Thank you to all that supported me through this very difficult but fun quest. It seemed like a long time ago when I made my "stellar" 4:49 Chicago Marathon debut, and I feel like I've certainly come a long way since then. Thank you Ben for letting me wear the Big River colors to Boston, and for all the great advice/workouts you have given me the last couple years. You have truly made me a better runner. Thank you Marc, Josh, Barrel, Trish, and Katie for coming out to see us run and support us. We had an amazing group out there, and was one of the most fun weekends I have ever had :) I am lucky to have such great friends. A special thanks to Pat who has put up with years of the same conversations concerning Boston (jacket/apparel controversy, qualifying time arguments, etc.) but has been there to support for almost all my major races, and my sister who has been my main supporter and rock in my running career. I couldn't have done this without her.

6) It was always my Mount Everest to qualify and compete in Boston. Now this is accomplished. I still can't believe it happened. If this is a dream, I hope I never wake up.

Spending the weekend in Chicago to help celebrate Anne's birthday! Haven't done too much running this week, and am still basking in the glow of running Boston on Monday :) Stairs were an issue the first few days post marathon, but I have been walking ok. To be honest, I have gotten a little antsy, and recovery has been ahead of schedule so have worked in a couple runs.

Thursday night after work, went for an easy run with Pat and Crystal. Did out and back on the trails, more specifically the flatter route that we do. Legs were tired, and my quads were definitely still sore and very heavy. Kind of shook off some rust on the first mile, and picked it up slightly coming home. Felt better when we were running faster, for some weird reason. Glad to be running again. Total mileage: 2 miles - splits were: 9:23, 8:30 (I think?)

Drove up to Chi last night, and hung out with Anne, Ben, and met up with my boy Ryan down in Wrigleyville for some drinks. Woke up this morning, decided to do a quick Lakeshore run. Overcast and spitting rain over in Chi this weekend, but windy and cool. Felt pretty loose, hit the first mile a lot faster than I thought I was going, and just kept with it. Legs still have some residual soreness and basic fatigue, but felt nice to pretty much be running regularly again. Kind of got carried away coming back - downwind, and was just enjoying running on my favorite trail ever. Probably went way too hard, but felt loose and just great in general. I love Lakeshore - could run here everyday. Total mileage: 4 miles - splits were: 7:20, 7:25, 6:55, 6:23 (oops!)

Legs are slightly tired, but will stretch through it. Plan on easy running for another week, then start ramping it up again after this minor rest period. Thinking about racing a local 5K on May 8th to jump start my summer racing. But am in the process of reaccessing my goals for the rest of 2010, and enjoying post marathon rest time :) As most of you know, I am very goal orientated, and if I don't have something to aim for then I won't stay motivated too long. Because my marathon career is pretty much in the twilight stages, I need to pick a major fall/winter race to aim for and conquer. For now, looking like my 1/2 marathon time needs to be lowered a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment