Monday, April 12, 2010

Almost there!!!!



Exactly 1 week from now, I should be in the wonderful arms of the beautiful women of Wellesley :) Can't believe we're almost there! Browsed through the running websites this morning - saw that Patrick Makau took victory in the Rotterdam Marathon in 2:04:48, which is becoming one of the fastest marathons out there with 3 of the top 4 fastest times ever! Here is a nice Runner's World interview with Meb, and finally a recap of the STL Marathon which was yesterday morning.

Not much running this weekend - Friday, scheduled day off. Did an abbreviated jog on Saturday, but didn't go too far because my back was killing me and was just blazing hot. Sunday, woke up early to go cheer the runners for the Go St. Louis Marathon. Met up with Pat and Crystal, and we went to Forest Park to meet up with Mike and Tom since Crystal and I were assuming pacing duties. Temperatures were pretty hot (70-80), and it was sunny outside so I quickly shed my shirt. We saw Mike not too far past the 3:10 pace group, so I jumped in and ran with him. He was cramping a bit, so we dropped pace and just tried to work it out for him. We weaved through Forest Park, through Clayton, then through U City all of which is pretty hilly. Not much shade, so didn't get easier. Got him to downtown, and let him take the reigns the last mile. Mike finished hard and really gutted it out when it was clearly not a good day to run. I've been in his shoes when your quads are just seized up and can't move, so I'm proud that he dug deep and finished strong in a very respectable time. Also, a hearty congrats to Tom who BQed by a whisker - coach Crystal worked him like a dog, but he dug deep and hopefully he will be joining me in Boston next year!!!

Hit a few extra miles later to get to around 15 for the day - when I ran back home, was very embarrassed to have the crowds cheering for me even though I wasn't racing! Ran into Ben on the course - found out that the Big River team had won both the men and women's race - congrats to Karl Gilpin and Julie Lossos!!!! (finish photos above) Got home, rested up and watched the thrilling Masters final round. Legs were a little tender after the hilly run, so thinking Boston may be pretty brutal since this was a good simulation. Talked with Shane and Tim, both of whom had raced that morning. Both dropped massive PR's in their respective races - Tim ran 1:39:21 in the Platte 1/2 Marathon, and Shane ran 1:07:27 in the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler - absolutely amazing performances by both, and absolutely jacked that they both killed it. Both are making huge strides in their running, and I really need to pick it up on my end or they will be kicking my butt in future races!

Doing easy mileage at the Big River Monday group run, then 800 repeats on Tuesday. Not pushing too hard this week - lots of food and rest and stretching. 1 more week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment