Friday, August 21, 2009

Video Friday

Adjectives are beginning to fail me here:



Bolt is really really really really really really fast. Shane and I were talking about this - he should donate his body to science he is so fast. He is not even human, he is an elk. He has been sent back in time to save Sarah Connor...and demolish every speed record known to mankind. Hasta la vista world records!!!!

Next, this was sent to me by a coworker, and I thought I would share. James Jarvis is a well known illustrator who now designs toys for Amos Toys. Jarvis is a well-accomplished runner (2:35 marathon - STUD), and created this little animated film in collaboration with Nike.

"The film was inspired by certain personal experiences in running – a favourite run over Blanchland moor in Northumberland, being attacked by a crow in Singapore – and also by the transcendent, almost psychedelic experience of the simple act of running."

Really cool stuff, I hope you guys enjoy :)

Onwards from AKQA on Vimeo.



Last night, went out on my scheduled tempo run. Crystal wasn't feeling well, and I was contemplating rescheduling but it was so nice outside that I was forced to run. Had been sitting inside for a couple hours getting really antsy, so had no problem changing really quick and knocking out the workout. Started out pretty easy, felt like I was gliding and was enjoying the cool, low 70 degree weather. Groin was kind of tight (need to stretch more this weekend), but kind of worked itself out so was fine. Just flew through the first mile, and hit the trails. Kind of started to struggle for some reason, but wanted to keep pace so made myself get into a zone. Turned around at 2.5 marker, saw some people ahead and competitive instincts took over so at this point pace was no longer an issue. 3rd mile felt fine, 4th mile hit some uphills and worked through those. 5th mile was just awesome, was running relaxed, body had completely acclimated itself to the aggressive pace, and wasn't breathing hard at all. Flew through that and decided to do one more since I felt so good. Hit a big downhill stretch and at this point was hitting 5K pace which is just ridiculous. Ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while, came to a screeching halt and the workout was suddenly over. Total mileage: ~6 miles (5.5 tempo) - splits were: 6:26, 6:35, 6:29, 6:32, 6:25, last mile was 6:06 pace and I would have hit this if not faster.

Afterwards, went up to meet with Jared at Buffalo Wild Wings to have a quick beer and congratulate him on a possible new job. Ran into my buddy Stephen Pifer and his family, was good to catch up with him! Stephen ran collegiately for University of Colorado and was pretty much the best runner to step foot in this area when he was in high school winning virtually every major title. He is running for Oregon Elite now (he says he will set up a meeting with Kara and I if I come to the trials in 2012 which I most definitely plan on), and just missed out qualifying for the World Championships by 1 place so was home for a week visiting family. He is running the 5th Avenue Mile in late September, one of the most famous road races in America, so be sure to tune in!

Pifer at the 1500 Olympic Trials Final last year

Tonight, would love to get in my 10 early since my Saturday is pretty filled with a golf tournament early and a wedding later. Sunday morning, our first 20 miler with Shane - should be fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment