Friday, January 6, 2012

More Trials




Tuesday, January 3rd - 6 miles. Ran with Pat and Crystal after work. Did a few miles on the trail, then finished up with a couple loops around the neighborhood. Pretty standard - sped up the last couple miles, but felt pretty natural. 51:10

Wednesday, January 4th - 6 miles. Same as yesterday, but did it all on the trails. 49 something total?

Thursday, January 5th - 7 miles. Scheduled 8 mile tempo at half marathon pace with Crystal. Had a bad night's sleep, and woke up early to do this workout. Warmup went ok, but was definitely sleep walking a little. Plan was to loop around Home Depot-GC loop. Pace never felt good, and my form started to go at about 1.5 miles. Then with each step, the effort became harder and harder to the point where I was done. Stopped at mile 2 for a minute, then restarted but couldn't get any pace under 7 minutes. Stopped again, tried to figure out what to do, then ultimately decided to jog it in since I was in no shape to run another 8 miles completely on empty. To makes matters worse, my stomach was a mess, and I basically walked/jogged it in. I don't know what happened, but lack of sleep and lack of food in the morning may have contributed. Mile splits were: 6:24, 6:31, blah.

Well, my death on the trails on the key indicator workout is not a good omen for next weekend. The last few weeks have been borderline disastrous, so I need to work on getting back to good health and getting my legs back. Saturday, going to do some pace work, but not 8 miles - I think there is enough time to fully recover but not going to chance it, so aiming at 4 miles pace then some strides. I need a good workout to wrap up this block and feel confident going into next weekend.

I also need to really watch my food intake (quality) and get some rest - sleep has not been good (nor enough) lately, and I feel lethargic at almost all points of the day. Going to work hard on eating good nutritious food, and load up on iron and protein in the next week to try to gain some more sustainable energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment