Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The end of 2011...




Above video is my Big River teammate Adam MacDowell's workout - pretty amazing splits, and a very tough course that he ran! As for my running, took a bit of a break this week, but got in a couple good workout so here we go:

Monday, December 19th - 3 miles. Big River Christmas Lights run! Very rainy day, and pretty frustrating to run in the dark and rain with over 700 people. Ran around Francis Park, then hit up the neighborhoods and saw some pretty awesome Christmas Lights display, especially on "Candy Cane Lane". Almost bit the dust, when I got my foot stuck on some lawn ornaments, and Megan took a pretty nasty fall as well. Fun times, regardless of Mother Nature.

Tuesday, December 20th - 6 miles (2 up, 6x800 meters mile pace, 1 down). Note to self - never eat Thai food on the day of a tough workout. Crystal and I had been dreading this workout after the last week's toughy (400 meter repeats at mile pace), and the thoughts of 800 meters at the same pace was a little frightening. Anyways, quick warmup, decided to trade off the inner lane, and got started. Got through the first rep, but stomach was super upset so had to run to the Y to remedy the problem. Next few were tough, but was hanging on by a thread. Died on the 5th rep, but hung somewhat strong on the last rep to hit the workout, well as much as I could have. Really difficult, but did as much as I could have. Slow cooldown, felt like poop. Splits were: 2:35, 2:35, 2:36, 2:35, 2:52 (died after first mile), 2:40. Have honestly never hit a workout this fast before, so was very happy but it took a tremendous effort. Completely dead afterwards.

Wednesday, December 21st - 6 miles. I don't remember this run, but was scheduled 6.

Thursday, December 22nd - 10 miles (2 up, 5 mile tempo, 3 down). Crappy weather (spitting rain and windy), but decided to do on the track where we would be battling a tough wind, but running on a soft track and the ability to work together. And I needed all the help that I could get, with me struggling through another workout. Goal was to hit 6:20-6:25, which was a little more aggressive than scheduled, but thought with running on the track that we wanted to make it a little tougher. Felt ok starting out, but shoe became untied which really messed with my mind. Miles 3 and 4 were a struggle, but knew I was going to make it on the last mile. Crystal was a machine, and really helped pull me through by ceding the inner lane earlier on her laps on the last mile and a half. Hit great splits, better than planned, but worked harder than I would have liked. Splits were: 16:24 warmup (8:12, 8:12), 6:17, 6:17, 6:16, 6:18, 6:16 tempo, 8:48's for 3 mile cooldown.

Friday, December 23rd - 6 miles. Wanted to do long run, but wasted the day resting, and got out late. Perfect day to run - legs were a bit wrecked, but pace felt fine. Ran into Megan who was finishing up her long run, so ran her in. Wanted her to hit pace the last few miles, so worked with her to hit this. Crapped out on my desired mileage, but got something in. Really feeling fatigued - both mentally and physically

At night, went to this wonderful restaurant called "The Block" in Webster. Hands down one of the best meals I have had in 2011. They butcher their own meat on the spot, so the meats are as fresh as can be - something I appreciate greatly since I work in the food industry and consider myself a bit of a foodie. Cozy restaurant, with some basic but nice decore but not intimidating. Great atmosphere, which always helps (I can't stand places that are stuffy, or have a "dead" atmosphere - really ruins the experience). We split a salad, which came in 2 separate smaller bowls (very nice touch as opposed to sharing off one plate which tends to be sloppy), and the salad was full of components which were very tasty (plain salads suck). I ordered the pork chop, and Meg got the salmon which was one of the specials of the day. I tend to never order much seafood in the Midwest, since it never seems to be fresh enough, but her salmon was literally melting on my mouth - tremendous flavor (almost buttery), and cooked to perfection. Sherry and Steve both ordered the trout, which was also amazing - firm, yet delicate, and seasoned well but not too aggressive. Typically not a trout fan, but this was clearly different. They did enough to the fish to give it a great flavor profile, but not lose the integrity of the fish flavor itself. My pork chop was pretty amazing itself (seasoned well, and cooked perfectly), and the portion size was generous. Sweet potato hash on the side, and I was in a happy place. I don't think I have ever ordered dessert based soley on meal performance, but I HAD to find out how their desserts were, so ordered their bread pudding which was heavenly - served with what tasted like cinnamon ice cream, and literally had me eating like I was a starving Kenyan despite being stuffed from the main course. Beer and wine selection was decent, and we had a good bottle of pinot noir which I wish I remembered the name. Anyways, I never write much concerning the places we eat, but I have also never been this excited about a meal before and strongly urge you to try this out! Amazing place!




Saturday, December 24th - 0! - travel day home to Peoria. Had to run many last second errands, then had to get to late afternoon Christmas mass, then immediately to cooking steaks for dinner, so never had time to run. Not sweating it, as the day off was nice and needed a day to rest my dead legs. Seriously gained 2-3 lbs. from eating and drinking the night away.

Sunday, December 25th - 4 miles - Merry Christmas! Fun day of doing nothing but eating. Eventually made it out for a quick run solo (everyone else was being uber lazy), and forgot how damn hilly Peoria was. 29:32 was the time - picked it up coming back, so I would feel better about myself, but felt like a fat kid who had never exercised a day in his life. Seriously gained another 2-3 lbs. more from yet another gluttonous meal. 35 miles this week - ugh

Monday, December 26th - 0! Travel day home - slept terrible all weekend, so went to take a massive nap upon arrival in the afternoon thinking I would get in some mileage at night. Well when I woke up 3.5 hours later, it was raining, and literally didn't stop. Raining too hard to get out, so another day off it was.

Tuesday, December 27th - 0! Let the excuses continue. Marc and Trish in town, so met up with them after work. Went to Gian-Tony's on the Hill for dinner (tried Cunetto's, but an hour and a half wait - on a Tuesday night???). Alleged 15-20 minute wait, which was much longer, then took literally forever to get the food out. Meals were ok, but wasn't blown away. My chicken parmigian was tasty, but there was nothing that made it particularly special. Because dinner took so long, we didn't get out of there till 9:30, and I didn't get home till almost 10:30 which meant no run. Bah

Well, 2011 is almost up, and it's been pretty much a wasted year. I will review the very few highlights I had later this week. The most important thing is I'm back in better shape, and headed in the right direction in what I want to do. Houston in 2.5 weeks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment