Thursday, August 11, 2011

Who's the man?

This guy. Lolo - pay special attention here. I think could be an amazing match (just sayin')...

U.S. World Championships roster in South Korea, and Jordan Hasay. Lots to catch up on my running world, so let's just get to it.

Wednesday, August 3 - 0! Impromptu day off, quite honestly don't remember why but will make it up.

Thursday, August 4 - 6 easy. Felt like complete crap. Now I remember why I took Wed off is because Timmy and I went out at night. Hit the easy mileage, went straight to bed.

Friday, August 5 - 10 miles (5K 19:38, 3 min rest, 6:03 mile, 2 easy, 4 easy). Crapped out in the a.m. to meet Crystal, so ended up breaking up this crazy workout. Heat was a huge factor (again), so opted for the cooler indoors. Didn't have enough time to hit the actual workout (2x2 miles tempo, 1 hour easy, 3 miles tempo), but improvised and did what I could. Did speed on the treadmill (new treadmill at my buddy's place!), hard effort but felt really good. The 5K split was definitely a confidence booster, as I had a decent amount in the tank. The mile hard, I definitely worked for. Came back in the p.m. to hit an easy 4 to get me to 10 for the day.

Saturday, August 6 - 10 miles (1:25-1:26). Watching Pat and Crystal's cat while they are out of town, so took the opportunity to get in some easy treadmill miles since it was beyond ridiculous outside. Started watching Lord of the Rings: Two Towers and Unnecessary Roughness on t.v., lost track of time and next thing you know I had blown past the intended 6 miles. Finished at 10, easy effort and felt good.

Sunday, August 7 - 15 miles. Early group run at my place with Mike, Candace, Devin, and I. Broke the run into 2 parts so we could refill on water and gatorade. Another hot and humid morning. Intended on doing 8 and 8, but was feeling good and extended the first portion to 10 miles keeping 8:30's pace. Did Troy route out and back (impetus being we could handle the open roads earlier than later when the sun would be a factor). Felt pretty good until the 9th mile or so, when the legs started to feel weird. Got back in for a refill and quick breather, then headed back out. Took a different, hillier route to the trail towards G.C., and pretty much crapped out on the group 2 miles into it. Jogged half a mile, then started back because I was done. They caught up to me, ran it in with them. Legs had nothing in the tank, just another horrible death on the trails. Not sure the overall time, but 8:30 pace overall. Talked with Candace and Mike afterwards - they suspect I might have iron deficiency? Not sure why I have crapped out the last couple long runs - I have trained in awful heat before, so this isn't anything different. Hoping it was just fatigue from the high mileage weekend...

53 miles this week! Very pleased.

Monday, August 8 - 3 miles. Late night run (270 loop), actually cooled down a little bit so was nice to get out. Plan was 6 miles and drills. Couldn't feel my legs by the end of the 1st mile, and considered walking by the 2nd. Wasn't going very fast, but was just dead. Called it a night and went right to bed.

Tuesday, August 9 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIMMY!!! - 5 miles (1 up, 3X1200, 1 down). Got together a nice group to the track (Timmy, me, Megan, Lara) to do our respective workouts. Plan was to do 4x4 minutes at 5:46-5:52/mile pace, but was so close to the end of the lap that I just finished it out. Legs still felt like wet noodles, but pushed through. Small breaks in between reps, really a nice evening to run. Been nice to have hardly any humidity this week (thus far). Blazed through the last rep, very pleased with this workout even though I was pretty tired. Splits were: 4:21, 4:19, 4:19, 4:13.

Wednesday, August 10 - 6 miles (1:00:08?). Absolutely gorgeous outside, and successfully recruited Tim to get in a few miles. He biked over, then we started late but was high 60's/low 70's at that point. Ran through town, but traffic was a mess and detoured through the backroads heading towards Edwardsville. More traffic back there, was definitely hugging the shoulders the entire way. Legs felt like garbage, and Tim had a sore hammy so we kept it very slow and enjoyed a nice run on the nicest evening this summer thus far.

Thursday, August 11 - 10 miles total. 6 miles a.m. Had to talk myself into doing this workout (was considering pushing to Friday because I still felt like poop). 5 mile tempo at 6:30-6:35 pace. Big indicator workout (see where I am at), and a decent mileage tempo which really hasn't happened much this summer. Legs felt like garbage, and struggled out of the gate but found my rhythm after the first mile. Played a ton of mind games coming back in, and coasted through the second half. Picked it up slightly on the last mile for fun, felt pretty decent for the most part and very thrilled at the end since I hit the workout despite not having my best day. Annnd, had some in the tank, so thinking my fitness level is definitely improving! 1 mile cooldown (needed to get to work), need to get in a few more this evening. Splits were: 6:45 (oops), 6:31, 6:30, 6:31, 6:24. 4 miles p.m. Tim came over, and we did out and back on the trail pretty slow. Felt pretty good at the end, but legs definitely felt like wet noodles.

Headed to Chi this weekend. Not sure I am going to get in a long run, but would love to get in some basic mileage tomorrow and a couple easy runs on my favorite running trail!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment