Monday, August 22, 2011

Is it Fall yet?

Mo Farah, Liliya for a Chicago 3-peat, Asafa Powell gunning for Usain, and RIP to John Kelley - 1957 Boston Marathon winner. Also, a cool training tip video on stretching from Big River Running's Ben Rosario and Julie Bokermann.

Wednesday, August 17 - 0! Got home late, missed the run. Going to switch with Friday off-day.

Thursday, August 18 - 8 miles (3x2 miles tempo, 3 down). Late night at work, managed to coordinate this workout with Crystal. 2 mile repeats at tempo, 2 minute break in between. Not a fun one, and a pretty warm and humid evening for it. Crystal's tempo repeats are at 6:15/mile pace, so I figured I was good for 6:20-6:25 to be safe (still developing strength at this point). We started out together, but she quickly got ahead and I was content lagging back slightly thinking we were on pace. Felt really good the first mile, but was definitely getting tired on the second mile and tried to keep it honest. Pretty tired, and the 2 minute break felt like 2 seconds. 2nd rep, just pain and tiredness. Fell way behind Crystal and was struggling all the way through the first mile. Got a quarter mile into the 2nd when I dropped off. This workout was going to be done without a break. Jogged/walked back to the rest point, then jogged back to catch Crystal and run her in. Last rep - made it a mental point to try to hit 1/2 marathon pace (6:30/mile) and call it a day. Felt much more relaxed, and zipped through the first mile. Had tired legs, but enough to make it through no problem and was very pleased with the final split. At this point, had gotten very dark and I had taken off my glasses due to the sweat (sooo humid), so at some point made a wrong turn and ended up on some street I had never been on before. I finished my rep then realized I had no idea where I was! And I am blind, so even worse. To make a long story short, jogged in circles for about 20 minutes before finding someone to give me directions. Found Crystal (who was off looking for me), then jogged 1 mile cooldown. Didn't hit the workout 100%, but pretty happy nonetheless. Splits were: 12:25 (6:08, 6:17), 6:27 (eek!), 12:31 (6:16, 6:15).

Friday, August 19 - 6 miles. Worked from home today - ran out and lunchtime with Pat and Crystal to get in a quick run. Uber sunny outside, hot and humid. Legs were pretty beat from the hard workout, and kept this one pretty conservative on the G.C. trails. Legs were officially toast on the turnaround, so had to work to get back home. Ugh. 50:07 total time, probably a little quicker than I would have liked.

Saturday, August 20 - 4 miles. Didn't have enough time to get in the 8 miles I wanted because of busy day, but managed to get out for a quick run. Out and back on the trails, sunny and hot but kept it slow.

Sunday, August 21 - 10 miles (1 up, 8 mile 1/2 marathon pace, 1 down). Big River Group Run at Grant's Trail. Early morning over in South County, and was pretty muggy at the start so knew this would be rough. First time on Grant's Trail - very nice path that is pancake flat and shaded. Crystal and I's goal pace for this run was 6:29/mile, which I thought was going to be very challenging. To make a long story short, started out pretty quick, and struggled the rest of the way. Quick water stop at the 2nd mile, mile splits were all over the place and didn't feel too hot. Coming back in, hit a few long patches that were exposed to the sun, so was dying in those areas. Another water break, traffic light stop, and kicked my butt making it back. Ugh, not the best run, and definitely worked for it. 8 miles - 52:45. Time was ok - I'll take it, but wish it wasn't that hard. Hammerstone's for brunch afterwards, then a much deserved nap! 40 miles this week - eh.

Another toughy this week - thinking about Race for a Child 5K this weekend, which will be nice to see where I am speedwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment