Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer begins today...

and not very pleased about it. The hot weather that we didn't have last year has certainly attacked this area, and it isn't pretty. Running has been tough, but making the best I can for the meantime.

Thursday, Tim came into town for an impromptu work visit. We decided to get in a group run on a hot day. Weather was 90's and hot and humid. Hit up the Glen Carbon trail route, and kept the pace pretty honest and simple. Pat did a little less than we did, and Crystal did a mile more, so Tim and I ran and suffered pretty much the majority of the run. Nothing much to update, felt ok out there. The aftermath was disgusting, as we literally had to towel ourselves off from the drenched sweat. It wasn't pretty. Total mileage: 5 miles - no idea the splits, but was around the 8-9 range.

Friday, my buddy Stephen Pifer got ahold of me, so went for a late run with him and his uncle, who used to hang out with us when we were younger. Did an hour easy on the soft trails over in Edwardsville, which I had actually never run on before and definitely want to again. Very flat, and easy on the legs as opposed to the hard trails we run on. Got to catch up a bit and had some fun conversation about Stephen's career and his competitors. He is running the 1500 at the USA Track and Field Championships this Saturday, which I believe is being televised on NBC, so check him out! Sounds like a really tough field, so hopefully he will do well. Weather was very hot, but sort of got a reality check from those guys since they literally don't care about the conditions and just get in the workout. I need to change my mentality to that instead of whining about the oppressive heat so much and using it as an excuse. I survived it fine - legs got a little heavy towards the end, but more from lack of hydration. Total mileage: 7 miles - averaged around 8:30 per mile.

Saturday, went to Peoria to see the family. Was supposed to run Steamboat, but backed out at the last second because I wasn't feeling well and didn't leave until Saturday. The lack of rest and just poor running has caught up to me, and working on turning this all around. Spent a nice day with the family. Sunday, played golf after church in the morning. So I guess a few miles of walking/swinging a golf club on a hot day has to count for some cross training, right? Drove home, then headed to St. Charles where I am housesitting for a friend all week. Waited for it to cool off a little, as well as watched the final round of the U.S. Open, before going for my run. My friend lives in a pretty hilly neighborhood, and the general surroundings are all rolling hills. Ran around town, got more acclimated to the surroundings. Felt a little tired at the beginning, but got my legs on the last few miles. Hit the uphills harder than usual, and my hit that zone where it feels like you can run forever and not get tired. Nice since it was so muggy outside. Got bit by a million bugs, which means it's time to invest in some insect repellent. Total mileage: ~6 miles - ran for 45 minutes so around 7:30's per mile.

Will get in some easy mileage at some point tonight. Tomorrow, would like to do some speed - might be track work (there is a track 2 miles from where I am staying), or I might do hill work which wouldn't be hard to do with the massive ones in the area. My friend Brian (who I have race with before) lives a mile away from where I am staying, and we may do an easy run in the morning before work. Loving the 5 minute commute this week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment