Monday, October 26, 2009

Post Marathon Fatigue

Here are a plethora articles that have been accumulating in my internet cache that I thought were interesting. First, a good RW interview with Brian Sell, talking about his final marathon this weekend. Sad that this great runner is at the close of an amazing career, and he is truly an inspiration to all out there. On that same tangent, here is a nice little tribute piece for Sell, and basically who he is as a runner. Brian is a great guy and deserves the best, and I hope he goes out with a great marathon in NYC! Running times did a nice little article on the science of running and aging - pretty much after the age of 30, you lose the ability of VO2 consumption, so you have to adjust your training to this. Pretty interesting stuff though, and breaks down the science of it.

Next, an article by the NY Times pretty much criticizing slower marathoners, compromising the ideals of racing in a marathon. I do agree that "running" a marathon in 6-7 hours is pretty much a joke, and people need to understand that it is not just about walking 26.2 miles to get a t-shirt and a medal. The average marathon time has gotten slower and slower as the popularity of the event has increased, but hopefully there is still a great appreciation for the effort it takes to run a sub 4 hour marathon. Awesome interview with former NYC champ Hendrick Ramaala, as well as one with American running great Abdi Abdirahman. And finally, a CRAZY article about a 70 year old man that ran 18:11 in a 5K in England.

To the running - this weekend, got back at it with a pretty aggressive 3 days of running. Took Wednesday and Thursday off, so felt a bit guilty and definitely got in some mileage. Friday, weather looked crappy, so did a treadmill workout at Pat and Crystal's. I forgot how much I detested treadmill running, and I never felt comfortable. Started out at a decent clip, but increased speed as I went. Legs were deadened by the 4th mile, and my cooldown felt pretty hard. Just felt like I was running forever, and it shouldn't feel like that when I am doing a short tempo run. I will be minimizing treadmill work moving forward. Total mileage: 5 miles - splits were: 7:19, 7:08, 6:57, 6:46, 8+.

The parentals came in for a short stay before their trip to Hawaii, so had a nice dinner with them on Friday night. Drove them to the airport bright and early on Saturday morning, and went back to bed as soon as I got home. Woke up to some amazing fall weather, and went out on the trails to get in some work. Wanted to get in 8 miles, ended up doing an improvised 2X4 miles because I decided within the first couple miles I wanted to do it all around marathon pace. Put in a quick break in between just to alleviate any running stress. Felt pretty good, but then during the third mile started feeling some fatigue. At the turn around, stopped for a quick 3-4 minute breather, then took back off. Went out waaaay too fast coming back, tried to slow it down a bit but failed in my endeavors. Last mile was borderline tortuous, and was T-I-R-E-D coming in. Negative split was nice, but shouldn't have felt that tired - I have done this workout before pretty easily. Total mileage: 8 miles - splits were: 7:03, 7:05, 7:07, 7:04, 6:49, 6:55, 6:54, 6:39.


At night, went to Powell Symphony Hall to watch the cello God Yo Yo Ma perform. Absolutely AMAZING, I don't know how to explain perfection but if there ever is a musician that can sustain such levels it is him. I was absolutely spellbound and inspired by a man who exhibits such passion through the cello. His music is so complex, yet he makes it sound so simple, but it's so perfect. I wish everyone could see how he captivates audiences with his talents - it's spellbinding! After getting home, listened to his music on my Ipod while hanging out, then bed. Slept in, woke up and got ready for the long run. Weather was warm, and kind of windy. Did our typical GC trail route, but Crystal threw in a curve ball and wanted to get in hill work in the process so we went over to Meridian Rd. which is just all rolling hills. Legs were tired starting out, and wasn't feeling the best by the time we got to the crazy hills. Progressively got faster, and was not feeling too good. Had thoughts of stopping to rest, but kept going. At the turn around, felt the deadened feeling so told Crystal we had to slow it down coming back. Felt a little better, because it is somewhat net downhill coming back, and finally made it back on the trail where I could get a better tempo going. Got my legs back eventually, and had a little second wind with 3 miles to go which was nice. Last mile was not easy, and played all the mental games with myself. 3rd consecutive hard workout, 3rd consecutive workout where I had nothing left at the end. I don't remember having too many of these during our marathon training segment - too much, too soon perhaps? Total mileage: 12 miles - splits were: will update later, started at mid to high 8's, progressively got faster to 7:20's, last few miles were 7:40's then hit last mile in 7:11.

Ugh, 36 tough miles and was definitely a hard week. Will lay off the gas for the next 2 weeks and get in good workouts, but concentrate on getting good rest and getting my legs back!

Barrel and I at the Go St. Louis Halloween 10K last weekend which led to the craziest Sunday Funday ever!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment