Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tuesday Ramblings/Easy Run

This is a pretty cool article I found this morning concerning NBC's relationship with the New York City Marathon. In summary, NBC signed on to exclusively broadcast the NYC marathon for three more years and will expand converage nationwide from one to two hours. I am totally excited to hear this, as I think marathoning is actually underrated as a live sport being telecasted. Last two years, I have been glued to the computer on Universal Sports watching streaming coverage of the major marathons - I just can't get enough of it! Not sure if any of you guys watched the 2008 Olympic Marathon, but was glued to the tv and the compelling story lines that were breaking out during the race. Great job by the commentators to keep up with solid analysis of the runners and the race and good segments during the race to keep everything fresh. Pretty amazing that something that seems to boring to watch (running) can actually be very entertaining. A wonderful decision by NYC, and one I hope will increase marathon awareness across the country.

Last night running was a scheduled 4 mile easy run. Kind of bummed around my place all evening doing miscellaneous errands before forcing myself outside around 8ish. Weather was sort of cool, but humid - I saw 74 on the bank clock when I passed it. Did an out and back on a somewhat flat terrain through Glen Carbon (first 1/2 mile downhill, last 1/2 mile uphill, rest pretty flat). Felt soreness in my right knee, so took a little bit to shake it out. Started off ok - just wanted to keep an easy effort and not push myself too hard. One of my buddies saw me on the roads and was honking his horn/shouting obscenities at me as he zoomed by me, so kind of woke me out of my funk. Started to pick up the pace, and felt myself holding back almost the entire time. Felt awesome and effortless throughout the run, but was a little tired at the end, prob from the uphill finish. Why can't all runs feel like this?!?! Total Mileage: ~4 miles - splits were: 7:29, 7:00 (oops), 7:09, 7:09.

I felt like this runner all week until yesterday

Was completely soaked from the humidity, soooo nasty outside. Did some good stretching, corework, and some foam roller time. Knees were sore, but they feel better this morning. Probably need to load up on some glucosomine, it's been a while since I've taken that. Tonight, scheduled track work (blah), but actually kind of looking forward to it despite the torrential downpour in the forecast this evening. Good opportunity to just hammer out a solid workout on the track - it's been a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment