Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Runners World Rave Run/First Run


Typically in the mornings, I will go through good amount of running websites/blogs to see updated articles/postings. So I am going through one of my favorites, Runners World's website, and happen to see they posted their March location for their Rave Run. Every month Runner’s World magazine features a photograph and brief description of a “Rave Run”. The Rave Run is generally a beautiful running locale with amazing scenery. March's location features the running trail on Lakeshore Drive in downtown Chicago, which is my most favorite place in the whole world to run. I am extremely fortunate to have my sister live in Lincoln Park, about half a mile from Lakeshore, so everytime I come to visit I make it a point to do a run at my home away from home. It is amazing to have the beach and Lake Michigan on your left, thousands of cars on your right on Lakeshore Dr., all while running towards one of the most amazing city skylines in this country. Not to mention the amount of people playing volleyball, basketball, swimming, biking, running - I don't know about you, but it always seems easier to run when there are a ton of people around. Another fun tidbit about this particular photo - a fellow EHS cross country alumni is featured, Amy Semith!

So I went on my first training run of this cycle last night. The STL area was saturized by rain all day/evening, so I took off in the later evening hoping the rain would let up a bit. Just did an out and back - with warmup and cooldown, hit close to 5 miles. Of course, the rain starts picking up at my turn around point, so was pretty soaked by the time I got home. Legs felt pretty heavy starting out (still battling major allergies and a cold), but by the third mile started to loosen up and coasted home. I did not wear my Garmin (on easy run days, I find it easier to run sans watch as I tend to go out pretty fast and if I see a fast 1st mile split, I'll try to sustain it), but hit close to 30 minutes for ~4.2 miles. After 45 minutes of corework and stretching, I feel pretty good. Speedwork tonight, we'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment