Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer Days


A little distraught from the recent news that Tyson Gay was caught doping.  I thought he was one of the good guys of the sport, but apparently he is a cheater now.  It's difficult to know who to believe anymore, and disappointing that the athletes I look up to are taking short cuts like this.  Hoping there is some good resolution out of this, as the story is still in its infancy and many questions remain.

I also thought the NYC Marathon Charity story was interesting, given I was really close to pulling the trigger.  It's crazy to think that some of the major charities are only half full on their entries, but they are going to have to make adjustments to the fundraising requirements as the early November deadline gets closer.  I think that raising 3K requires as much time as possible, and it's sad to hear that the major charity problems are having problems.  I hope that this this isn't attributed to the Boston bombings either...

Tuesday, July 8th – 6 miles. 

Wednesday, July 9th – 6 miles.  Ran on the SLU track, and helped Megan with her workout.  Warmed up on Crystal’s cooldown, then did a mile with Craig before doing the rest solo.  It was HOT outside!

Thursday, July 10th – 4 miles - having problems remembering this one, but I think Crystal and I ran 4 early before I flew to Chicago for work.  Old Faithful route nice and easy (~8:30’s pace)

Friday, July 11th – 7 miles (2 a.m., 5 p.m.).  Ran around Naperville area bright and early before work, then headed downtown to spend the rest of the weekend with Anne and Ben and Barrel.  It was a really nice afternoon, and decided to head out for some more miles.  Well, there were a TON of people on the beach, so headed out a little more and soaked in the atmosphere.  Just an awesome afternoon to be outside, and was relishing every step of the way.  On the last mile back, some dude decided to pass me, so picked it up and worked off him headed towards the Fullerton exit on Lakeshore.  We were flying past all the bikers, and a lot of weaving was going on since there was a ton of traffic with all the people out and about.  He got me, but I made him work for it!  Little Goat diner at night for dinner – DELICIOUS!!!

Saturday, July 12th – 8 miles.  Ran with Ben and Anne on Lakeshore headed north, then did a couple miles solo headed south.  Very sunny and a ton of people outside, so was great to have company.  My favorite trail of all time!!!  P.M. – Cubs game to celebrate Barrel’s bday.  May have celebrated a little too hard, but was still an amazing time!


Sunday, July 13th – 8 miles at night.  Late flight back in, and was pooped.  Quite honestly a miracle I got this in with the long weekend.  I don’t remember much details from this, but looped around 270 and through Glen Carbon.  Nice and slow.  43 miles this week, 76 miles in July, 1248 miles in 2013.

Monday, July 14th – 6 miles.  Drawing blanks on Monday and Tuesday, but I know my mileage.  One of these days I think I ran with Pat and Crystal on Old Faithful, nice and easy pace.  

Tuesday, July 15th – 6 miles.  I believe I did 3 miles solo, then ran 3 with Megan on our 270 route.  7:30's pace for my miles, which felt fine.  Happy 3rd Birthday to Franklin!

Wednesday, July 16th – ~8.5 miles (2 up, 10 x 2 min hard, 1 min easy, 2 down) .  Got in my scheduled workout late in the night, since the weather was disgusting during the day.  It wasn’t much better at night, but at least the sun was down.  The lack of breeze didn’t help things, and it was like I was swimming out there.  Out and back to the trail for warmup, then headed to the roads to hit this fartlek.  Goal pace/effort was 5K (5:50-6 min), and did my best to maintain.  I ran towards St. Boniface Church on the other side of town, so hit the backroads and was navigating where the traffic was least and the roads were relatively flat.  Made it a point to loop around the area so I would finish 2 miles out so I wouldn’t cheat on my cooldown.  Towards the 7th rep or so, was getting really, really tired and worn out, and ended up walking a lot of the “easy” minutes.  Threw up on my 9th rep, and tried to regain my bearings and make sure I wasn’t in the “I need to quit” zone (was not at all).  Made it to the end, and literally jogged home and laid in the shower for a long time to cool off.  Ran roughly 2.5 miles on the fartlek which was on the lower end, but got completed nonetheless.

Thursday, July 17th – 0!  Didn’t make it up in the morning, and ended up playing golf in the afternoon which took a lot longer than I thought (we teed off right behind a tournament).  With all the time in the sun, I was pretty drained and ended up in bed when I got home.  Legs were trashed anyways, so the rest is not a bad thing.  On a brighter note, Kyle and I played at Far Oaks today and I shot 77 (35/42) – the cool part was I was one under at the turn – I have never been under par after 9, so pretty cool personal achievement.  Of course, it all fell apart on the back nine, but still had it going for a bit J



Friday, July 18th – 10 miles (6 miles a.m., 4 miles p.m.).  Morning run with Crystal and Jon – Out and back on Old Faithful, and my legs were pretty pooped.  Slow starting out, but picked it up to low 8’s by the end.  51 minutes and some change, and we negative split about a minute coming back in.  Pretty pooped afterwards – I think lingering effects from Wed night’s workout.  In the evening, went out and hit my fartlek workout (10 x 30 seconds hard, 1 minute off).  Easy mile out to the trail, then did the fartlek which felt ok (5K pace for the hard), then mile down.  I got about 2 miles on the fartlek which was what I was aiming for.  Nasty humid outside as usual.

Saturday, July 19th – 8 miles (4 miles a.m., 4 miles afternoon (1 up, 10 x 30 sec hard, 1 min easy, 1 down)).  Easy run at 7 a.m. on Troy out and back, even though I was sleepwalking.  Nothing crazy to report, and ran for 32-34 minutes at easy effort.  Afternoon run was a bit more painful – 95 degrees and ridiculous sun.  My legs were pooped a half mile into the run, and basically jogged the entire way.  I seriously think I lost 5 lbs. in sweat – it was that nasty.  37 minutes or so, and the longest cold shower I have ever taken.  At night, Megan and I went to Julie and Nikki’s wedding and had a great time celebrating this momentous occasion with all our friends!




Sunday, July 21st – 10 miles.  1:17:08 total.  Ran with Crystal, Jon, and Kyle on an Old Faithful out and back.  It was nasty humid but overcast and cooler than the last week or so (80’s).  Coach Kyle has adjusted my long run pace to be faster (7:30-8 min/mile range) versus the sloth-like pace I have grown accustomed to, so was a little nervous but figured this run wouldn’t be too tortuous.  Fortunately, I was right, and we motored through ok.  Good conversation the entire way, and we were at the turnaround before I knew it.  The group did 9 miles, and I tacked on another mile at the end to finish my workout.  Legs were tired afterwards, but happy to get it done and finish out a good week.  48 miles this week,  124 miles in July, 1296 miles in 2013.

Monday, July 22nd – 6 miles.  Ran late at night after the sun went down.  My old 6 mile loop around town, and nice and slow.  Legs were pooped, but got done.  Pretty nasty humid still, but much more tolerable than I thought.  No watch, but somewhere between 51-55 minutes.  On a side note, we have been watching Game of Thrones lately.  There are some awful, creepy characters called the White Walkers that basically kill humans that are in their territory (a heavily wooded area).  It’s a nice thought and visual to have at night when running next to a heavily wooded area and hearing noises of some creatures closeby thinking that you are about to be attacked and killed at any moment.  Thanks a lot, Game of Thrones.

Tuesday, July 23rd – 5 miles.  Got home late from the Cardinals game, and did 270 loop and some change.  It cooled down quite a bit and was probably in the 70’s when I ran.  Was dragging, but that may have been the result of a couple hot dogs (National Hot Dog Day!) and brews from earlier that night – oops.  40-45 minutes (no watch).

Couldn’t get up this morning to do my workout.  The weather was in the 60’s and amazing, so I missed out on a great opportunity L  But will attack this fartlek at lunch, then enjoy Big River guy’s night at the West County store!  Stepped on a scale last week, and was shocked to see the number and even more shocked that I am closer to Clydesdale division than I like!  So will be monitoring my diet heavily, and may incorporate my meals into my blog as a food log as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment