Tuesday, July 30, 2013

It's a cool, cool summer...

Bix 7 results, Mo versus Bolt in 600 meters, 2012 race reports.

Wednesday, July 24th - ~11 miles.  Queeny Park run after work for my workout.  I was trying to go during lunch, but work got too busy and decided to do before Big River guy's night.  Workout was fartlek - 3:30 min on (tempo to 5K pace), 1:30 off for 35 minutes with 20 minutes warmup/cooldown.  Ran from the store to Queeny and tacked on some miles.  Kyle told me to run the perimeter trail and always take a right hand turn, but I got lost and ended up running on some really nasty hills and pretty much threw time out the window and went by effort.  It didn't seem like I was moving too fast either, sadly :(  By the 5th repeat, I was walking some of my rest because my legs were just destroyed.  I felt like I was climbing for the majority of my run, and my legs aren't strong enough to do the steep hills of Queeny.  Finished out the workout feeling slightly dejected, then to add insult to injury I got lost.  I kept circling this stupid lake, and wasn't making any progress moving in the direction towards the entrance of the park.  After consulting with numerous people, eventually made my way out and ran an extra 20-30 minutes.  Pooped!  Breakfast: banana, apple, hard boiled egg.  Lunch: not much with work being crazy!  Dinner: Grilled Cheese w/bacon and chips.

Thursday, July 25th - 5 miles.  Late recovery run for me.  Legs were complete poop.  I don't remember time, but it was super slow!  Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, banana.  Lunch: Pad Thai at Thai Kitchen (oops, but I was super hungry!!!).  Dinner: Salmon and rice.

Friday, July 26th - 10 miles.  Ran with Crystal bright and early.  Quick 1 mile to her place, then we jumped onto Old Faithful out and back for 4 more.  Talked her into 1 more neighborhood mile, since we were in midst of great conversation and great weather, then I ran home and did the 270 loop to top off my 10!  1:22:08 total, and felt pretty good in the process even picking up the pace slightly the last couple miles.  Breakfast: bagel, banana, apple.  Lunch: Footlong oven roasted chicken breast sub with spinach leaves, onion, green peppers, cucumbers, and avocado on 5 grain wheat.  Dinner: PI pizza with Joe, Maria, and Tim.  About the worst thing I can possibly eat, but was sinfully delightful!

Saturday, July 27th - 7 miles.  Ran with Megan to do her belated track workout.  Nice, sunny morning, and we ran up to the track and did 4x1000 meters at 5K pace.  She hit 5:14, 5:02, 5:12, 5:18 (goal was 5:17 which is ~8:28 min/mile pace), and we concentrated on her running by feel and using her watch which is an area we need to work on.  Legs were kind of pooped, and was getting hot by the end of our run.  Afterwards, went up to the Cyclery to pick up my new bike!  Rode 10 miles on the roads and trails towards Troy, and was definitely enjoying moving faster on the trail, but the bike seat will take a long time to get used to!  Breakfast: leftover pizza.  Lunch: cereal.  Dinner: seasoned chicken thighs, brown rice, small salad with bleu cheese and garbanzo beans.

My new toy!
Sunday, July 28th - 12 miles.  Ran late morning with Colby on a sunny morning.  Typically running at 11 a.m. in late July is a death sentence, but Mother Nature's reprieve on us has been a welcome treat.  Colby had 65 minutes easy, so we did out and back towards Home Depot.  About halfway through, I was getting really tired and started to struggle.  We turned around at 7:30's pace at that point, but at the 6th mile I had to slow down a little.  We finished, but my legs were tore up.  Went out later to finish the last 3.5 miles solo - fast finish wasn't going to happen today.  Colby and I did 8.5 in roughly 1:05, the rest was low to mid 8's pace.  Breakfast: bowl of Kashi cereal and juice.  Lunch: Pepperoni lean pocket (ugh but was on the go with impromptu golf).  Dinner: grilled hamburgers, pasta salad, and fresh tomatoes and pepper.  56 miles for the week, 180 miles for July, 1352 miles for 2013.  Great week!

Monday, July 29th - 7 miles.  Big River group run with Crystal on a cool, overcast and sort of rainy day.  To change up pace, we ran the 7 mile loop backwards which was a welcome change of scenery.  Crystal told me I could set the pace since my legs were dead, and we started low 8's and felt decent especially running down the huge hill we usually finish up.  Ran through the park, and we were definitely picking up the pace as we headed towards River Des Peres.  As we were getting closer to the end of that part of the run, saw the lead pack of the fast runners quickly approaching - looked like a pack of gazelles running towards us!  Was nice to run by everyone, and we made out way towards Francis Park and back to the store.  One guy we ran into at the stoplight at Hampton was wearing a hoodie - Crystal and I weren't going to let a dude wearing a hoodie in late July overtake us on a run.  Last 2 miles were uphill, and ran into Colby and Tim and finished with them.  53:30 overall.  Afterwards, went to Soha for Ryan's 50th birthday!  Breakfast: leftover burrito, banana.  Lunch/snack: Footlong oven roasted chicken breast sub with spinach leaves, onion, green peppers, cucumbers, and avocado on 5 grain wheat.  Dinner: BLT with sauteed zucchini and squash.

Legs are pooped.  Easy run today, then mile repeats workout on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment