Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Hitting these last few months of 2012 hard...

Ryan Hall, great story from a recent triathlon, attempt at marathon record wearing flip flops (update - he ran 2:46!!!), Amy Hastings running NYC, Abdi's career coming towards the end, Jason Hartmann paced Ritz in Chicago, Mo Farah could break the marathon record someday, Chris Solinsky on his comeback, MebMary Wittenberg and her legacy, Shalane, Michael Phelps' sister running NYC, and 81 year old Ed Whitlock runs 3:30 marathon.

Wednesday, October 10th - 6 miles.  Ran with Mike at night, and did a loop around town.  Legs were tired, and my back was a mess, so we went slow.  Negative split every mile, and felt ok other than the shuffling and back pain.  51 minutes and some change.

Thursday, October 11th - 5 miles.  Scheduled mile repeats, but crapped out.  Went up to the SLU track after work, and warmed up 2 miles easy.  Workout was 3 x 1 mile at tempo pace with one minute rest in between, but my back was killing me and was really affecting my stride.  So made it through the first mile at 6:14, but was much harder physical effort than it should have been because of the physical compensations I had to do (shorter stride, hunched over).  So called it quits and cooled down 2 miles slow.

Friday, October 12th - 4 miles.  Crapped out in my attempt to run early with Crystal.  So got in a later morning run, which was better than nothing.  Out and back towards Troy.  Sunny in the morning, and my back was a mess.  33-34 minutes, I believe.

Saturday, October 13th - 15 miles.  3 early with Crystal on Old Faithful, then did reverse Home Depot/Old Faithful loop on the trails.  Back was bothering me early, and almost pulled out but got in a good rhythm and continued on.  Was 80, sunny, and HUMID so was not the best conditions.  Looked down at my chest at around mile 6, and was COVERED in bugs which was absolutely disgusting.  Last few miles, it all caught up to me, and I was getting pretty tired.  Thought I was doing less mileage than I actually was (reverse Home Depot/Old Faithful loop is 12 miles or so), but happy with the work.  8:03 average pace - faster than I should have gone, but felt very easy.

Sunday, October 14th - 7.5 miles.  GO! Halloween 10K Day!  Went downtown to watch all the runners go at it.  When I stepped outside in the morning, was very humid and very windy and actually kind of warm.  So drove downtown, ran about a mile to the start and wished the runners good luck, then ran down to establish position.  Good results all around, as the Big River runners represented well and placed high.  Crystal PRed on a tough day and ran 36:51 for 3rd place overall for women!  Cooled down with her and Pat, then ran another mile back to my car.  Tacked on a few more miles at night to finish a good week.  52 miles this week, 85 miles in October, 1402 miles for 2012.

Monday, October 15th - 7 miles.  Big River group run with Pat, Tim, Justin, and a couple others.  Nice night to run, and felt pretty controlled as we went through the loop.  8:30ish pace overall - perfect fall night to run, but daylight in the evening is pretty minimal at this point.  Back felt MUCH better.

Tuesday, October 16th - 8 miles.  Late night workout, since my motivation to get out was rough.  Did 6 miles around town, then did 10 x hills at the hill closeby my place.  The hill was about 250 meters or so, and relatively steep so went up and down pretty hard at sub 6 minute pace.  Got in a nice zone where I felt good pushing.  Weather being cool helped a lot too :)  The initial 6 miler was 7:30ish pace (oops!).  Back is holding up fine - thank goodness.

Working my way towards a solid week and feeling good too.

Carter winning the 5K

3rd place!  And I was graciously given the pie, which was DELICIOUS!!!

Start of the 10K - O'Connor and Stack leading the way

No comments:

Post a Comment