Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rapid Fire September 5K Recaps

Found a quick Ryan Hall article, still bummed he is missing Chicago. Headed up there on Friday to watch the marathon, and watch my friends Candace and Gabe tear it up this weekend. Both are shooting for sub 3 hour races, so excited to see them race! Should be a decent weather day (looking slightly warm), and obviously nostalgic for me to be on the other side of the ropes for the race I have run 3 out of the last 4 years, as well as revisit the scene of one of my greatest running accomplishments (09 Chi BQ).

Wanted to talk really quick about the two 5K's I ran last month in greater detail from what I can recall. Ran Italian Fest on my birthday weekend - weather was pretty nice but a little hot because of the blazing sun. Course is dead flat - out and back, and you finish in downtown Collinsville which was getting set up for the annual Italian Fest parade, so pretty scenic. Warmed up for 10 minutes and did some strides and drills. Saw a few people I knew, and lined up with them. Went out pretty hard, but was tired and definitely having some breathing problems. First mile was 5:47, was gapped by 4 people and was chasing. One of the guys was working with me (Harry) and I called him to come up and work with me. He started to gap me on the second mile, and I pretty much hung on to him coming back. No one really close behind me, and I wasn't feeling it trying to catch Harry since he had gotten a good 10-15 seconds ahead of me, so shifted into cruise control (again - I swear my competitive instincts have gone to the toilet!). Finished pretty strong, was happy for the most part. Time - 18:23, 6th overall out of 300, 2nd in my age group.

Midwest Wing Festival 5K - over in Fairview Heights at Moody Park, which I didn't even know existed. Got there on a pretty cool day, but once again the sun was in full factor. Park was pretty nice - gravel paths, decent scenary with a lake and baseball/softball fields, and pretty much just a park. 2 Loops around this 1.5 mile trek, definitely a few hills here but nothing suicidal. Lined up with the very few people that showed up for the rescheduled event (was rained out a couple weeks ago and rescheduled) and off we went! Went out pretty hard, no one around me. Kind of was feeling tired, but moving ok. Went through the first mile at 5:50, saw absolutely no one around me and decided right there it wasn't worth it to kill myself and shifted from 4th gear to 2nd. If anyone was going to catch up, I was prepared to unleash the unholiest of kicks. To make a long story short, no one was within sight of me even after slowing down, and I enjoyed a fun 2 mile victory stroll. About as easy of a victory as you could ever have in a race. Time - 19:58 (yes you read that correctly). 1st out of 20ish? Awesome trophy :)

Well, those are my quick thoughts in a nutshell. Last night, got out with Pat and Crystal and did an easy 4 on the trail. Gorgeous outside, still having some breathing issues (yes I need to go to the doctor), but felt decent for the most part. Hit 8-9 minute pace throughout and sped up towards the end. Got in an extra 2 solo late at night when it was getting really chilly, but I love running in this weather :) Some sort of speed work tonight (nothing too hard) and easy mileage - plan on getting around 40ish this week if my body cooperates :)

No comments:

Post a Comment