Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thursday

Quick tidbits on the upcoming Berlin Marathon this weekend. This article previews the spectacular duel that is going to take place between Haile Gebreselassie and Duncan Kibet. Both runners have the two fastest marathon times ever, and on a flat course who knows what is going to happen?! Next article talks about Duncan Kibet's personal goals for this race. Finally, this is a cool little article from the Running Times talking about marathon workouts that will help you dial in your goal pace. We hit most of these workouts on our training block, so feeling pretty good about things right now!

Last night, got in my recovery run after work. Weather was mid 80's, but windy so helped with the heat. With the marathon so close and the weather not turning fall-like yet, I am a little paranoid that the weather in Chi will be similar to the last 2 years, so definitely want to get in some workouts to acclimate myself to the warmer weather since we have had a pretty mild summer so far. Did out and back on the trails, brought my Garmin just curious to see what my "easy pace" was since I rarely time myself on recovery runs. Started out pretty creaky and legs felt tired and tight. Loosened up eventually on the first mile - on the last quarter of my first mile, ran through a swarm of gnats which was absolutely disgusting. I HATE swarms of anything, and swallowed about 10-15 gnats and had another 50-60 stuck on my body and eyeballs through that stretch. Got on the trail, got into a great rhythm and running felt so effortless. Made the turnaround, totally felt like I was jogging and never had to breathe hard. Completely opposite feeling from the day before where 8:30's felt like 7:30's - I barely broke a sweat on this run. Braced myself for the gnat swarm, which I got through, and cruised home. Total mileage: 5 miles: splits were: 7:50, 7:51, 7:49, 7:53, 7:51.

Stretching and corework afterwards. Was happy to have consistent splits, and a little shocked to see sub 8 minute splits, but was happy. Had dinner at Pat and Crystal's afterwards - she made olive creamed stuffed chicken breasts, which were magnificent!!!! Ping pong and Top Chef afterwards, very relaxing evening! Tonight, our planned Yasso 800's, so hopefully goes smooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment