Friday, September 25, 2009

Chicago Bound!

Headed up to Chicago after work today to see some friends and family, and continue on with the birthday festivities :) This has been a fun week, especially with the low mileages and enjoying the taper, but also battling a pretty nasty cold as well. Really quick - Chicagomarathon.com posted the elite athlete bios for the elite runners competing - take a look! Also, a quick interview with Edward Norton and his NYC Marathon training with the Maasai warriors. Finally, a scientific look at the benefits of Vitamin D in athletes - does it affect athletes? It definitely looks so! Thought of before just to aid primarily in bone development, Vitamin D also functions in cell metabolism, muscle fiber growth, and the correct functioning of the immune system. So load up on salmon, tuna, yogurt, and breakfast cereals!

After work, was driving home and literally drove by my running store so stopped in to check out the merchandise since I had a gift card to spend. Tried on some of the Brooks racing flats, but my feet are just too wide for them so I don't think it is possible to wear them - perhaps I will email Brooks to see if they are available wide, but didn't see anything on the website. Bought a pair of shorts and a night running hat (has a blinky LED light on the strap and the hat itself is totally neon yellow), so was happy with those purchases. Also, went a little nuts on the Brooks pro website today ordering up some apparel so I can proudly display my sponsors this fall/winter :)

Last night, was feeling like crap but due to the impromptu day off from being sick I decided to try to combine the missed workout into the scheduled hills. It had rained all day, but stopped in the evening leaving it a little humid and overcast, but cool as well. Crystal was tired from a long day and texted me to bail on me, so I tried to guilt trip her thinking she might show up later. Jogged 2.5 up to the Meridian Hill (or mountain), and prepared for repeats. First one was rough - hadn't done hills in a while, and my fast twitch muscles were definitely in shock. Felt better after the second one, and was jogging back down the hill when I saw who I thought was Crystal jogging towards me wearing a red nike singlet - same body type, haircut, running motion. So I cat call her and made stupid noises, but realized soon it wasn't her! But she was very cute, and definitely wanted to catch her on the next rep just to take another look ;) Went out way too fast, caught her at the end - couldn't gasp for air hard enough, and I'm sure I made quite the favorable impression. Last few, worked hard but was definitely completely depleted. Legs were slightly cramping, and I felt really dehydrated probably from being sick. Jogged home, probably went too hard because I got the entire workout in in like an hour which is way too fast, and legs were just done. Stretched profusely after the workout, blah! Total mileage: ~7 miles - didn't wear a watch, but hit 5K effort or a little faster on all the reps except for the 3rd rep which I went kamikaze trying to catch that girl (~sub 1:20).

Stayed up way too late last night - Tim came back from Barcelona, so he came over after landing and we ended up b.s.ing all night. Pretty tired and hacking up furballs - took some medicine, so hopefully I feel better for the quick weekend ahead. Will run with the New Balance group tomorrow morning, then some workout when I get back to try to get in 30+ miles this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment