Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Italian Fest 5K Recap

Marathon runner books, elites guide this fall, Kipsang's plot to take down the world record, Ryan Hall, the Kenyan, Boston Marathon director interview, the idiotic Pam Anderson, compeand sad news from the lovely Miss Kara Goucher.


I was reading the Pam Anderson article, and was just shaking my head.  I wish her the best in her endeavors, but she is getting herself into something she has no idea about.  Having her long run at 10 miles only 6 weeks out of one of the most difficult marathons is just setting herself up for failure and inevitably a lot of pain.  It may be all lovely those first 5-10 miles, but definitely gets tougher.  If she breaks 7 hours, I will be impressed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324807704579085084130007974?mg=reno64-wsj.html%3Fdsk%3Dy

Lastly, I thought this article was really interesting.  And it pretty much added to the idea of today's generation where we award everyone for participation (everyone's a winner!).  Kind of stupid if you ask me, and we wonder why this generation settles for anything and why people aren't as competitive anymore.  I think people should take pride in winning age group awards and consider that an accomplishment (isn't that why they call it awards?), but idea of getting a medal because I completed a 5K is pretty ridiculous.  I would rather have the race take $5 off my registration quite frankly.  Prize money makes races competitive which is why you see the fastest people come out when there are good pots.  

Thursday, September 19th - 6 miles.  Pat, Crystal, and I did 4 on the trails then I did 2 solo later on.  Pedestrian pace, my legs were pooped from the Wednesday workout.  We kicked to hit 35:48 on our 4 miler which shows how slow we were going.

Friday, September 20th - 4 miles - I don't remember this one.

Saturday, September 21st - 6 miles (ITALIAN FEST 5K - 19:08, 5/335 overall, 1/12 age group).  Gorgeous morning to race, and was looking forward to having a good time out at a race I haven't done since 2013.  Got up and did a quick warm up and some dynamic stretching/drills before getting started.  Legs felt like garbage, so wasn't expecting too much other than a hard effort on the roads.  Flat out and back course that runs through a neighborhood before headed back on finishing on main street, where a big festival is going on all weekend.  Was sitting in 6th place after the first mile (5:58 split) and slowly picked off a couple more.  Reached the turnaround which was set up very weird around a cul-de-sac, and had to slow down a little to regroup before heading back.  All of a sudden, this race turned very tactical as I was working in a 3 man group and I dropped pace to conserve energy (1st and 2nd place guys were gone at this point) so it was just us).  Caught up to the 3rd place guy and told him let's finish strong, so we worked together coming from the 2nd mile in.  Some older guy had caught up and was shouting encouragement to the passing runners, which really irritated me for some reason, and I couldn't shake him.  We all ran together, and with about 0.4 miles to go I surged and created a small gap.  Turned onto a side street with those two hot on my tail, and the crowd shouting at me to pick it up.  Turned onto Main Street and threw in another surge, and had about 200 meters to go to the finish.  Looked over my left shoulder and saw the older guy and thought I shook the other one and let up slightly, and he surged ahead to nip me at the finish.  Was so pissed at myself for making a tactical mistake like that, but had so much fun in that duel!  Fun, fun, times.  Slow cooldown with Megan and Colby to finish it out.  Last race as a 33 year old!


Spoils of War

Sunday, September 22nd - 0!  Happy Birthday to me!  Opted to play golf in the morning instead of running my long run.  Very pathetic I know, but I felt like crap and wasted a day for my own selfish reasons.  Blah. On a sad note, Old Faithful is closed so they can repave and fix it up through next fall.  While we have multiple running options,  35.5 miles this week, 158.5 miles in September, 1789.5 miles in 2013.

Monday, September 23rd - 6 miles.  Gorgeous afternoon after work, and did a run solo on the trails.  Out and back towards Troy, and got heckled by a group of teeny-boopers who were "admiring" my shorts.  Very annoying, and almost stopped to curse them out but held my tongue and kept going.  Legs were rusty but felt smooth once I got on the trails, and hammered it out.  7:55 average pace.  Ate a ton of ice cream at night, and feel bloated and like crap.

Looking at running the Flat as a Pancake 10K this Saturday as a pace run for next weekend.  I haven't got into much pace work, and I think it would be a good last workout to feel comfortable at race pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment