Monday, August 5, 2013

Vegas Week!

Tour de France runner, bigger Boston field in 2014, Beach 2 Beacon results, new Brooks shoes, and Mo Farah.

Friday, August 2nd - 7 miles.  Workout was 25 minutes up, 10 x 20 seconds hard, 1 minute easy (hills), 25 minutes down.  Wanted to get out earlier to do this but slept in and ran out of time at lunch, so did promptly after work.  It started to rain which was actually felt good, but I made the mistake of wearing glasses which became a huge nuisance.  Ran 3 miles on the trail towards Troy out and back, then situated myself on the hill close-by my place which has been the scene of recent workouts.  Repeats went by fine (mile effort), and the jog back down the hill was almost a minute so worked out well.  270 loop for cooldown, and lots of stretching at the end.  Pretty soaked afterwards, but I kind of like running in the rain, especially when it's hot!  Breakfast - banana, apple.  Lunch - California Turkey Melt sandwich.  Dinner, Crazy Bowls and Wraps protein bowl with dark meat chicken.

Saturday, August 3rd - 7.5 miles.  3 miles to Miner Park for Megan's 5K race, 3.5 miles for her race (29:03), 1 down.  Pretty nasty humid morning, but overcast and cool.  Easy run through town to the race, and made our way down to the race start.  Out and back on the trails on Meridian, so uphill going out and downhill going back.  I jogged a quarter mile out from the start, and jumped in with Megan and paced her through the rest of the way.  Noticed as we were getting further and further up the hill that there was no defined turn around mark where it should have been, so kept following the crowd.  Eventually, the people in front of us yelled at us to turn around, and I knew this race was pretty much screwed in terms of an official race time (turned around at 1.73 on Garmin).  I made Megan run sans Garmin, and talked her through the rest of the way and she pushed hard at the end.  We crossed the 5K mark unofficially at 26:45 (8:38, 8:50, 8:28), and 29:04 for the ~3.5 mile trek.  It sucked, but I felt bad for the people who ran over 5 miles because they totally missed everything.  On the bright side, Megan won her age group!  1 mile cooldown to finish out the day.  Breakfast - bacon egg and cheese biscuit from Hardees (to my defense, I was STARVING and needed some comfort food).  Lunch - leftovers.  Dinner - Little Caesar's pizza.  Not exactly the standard of good health, but it was a busy day and I think I had enough cheating to last a month or so!

Sunday, August 4th - 14 miles.  Early heat and procrastination equals a late run.  Humid but warm when I started later.  Ran towards Troy, and was just hoping this run didn't suck because quite honestly I was massively hungover and exhausted from inactivity and slothness all day.  Was praying the first couple miles would feel ok, and was very fortunate that I locked into pace almost immediately and felt fine.  Navigated through the trail, and made an executive decision to run off the trail and loop around Maryville to change the scenary up a bit.  Ran through some nasty hills near Tim's parent's neighborhood, then looped back through town back onto the trail and stopped at Drost Park for a quick water stop.  The temps were much cooler at this point, and was motoring around quite fine but definitely was pushing a bit the last few miles.  Long stretching afterwards, then collapsed in bed after a late dinner.  My podcasts get a huge assist in that this run would have been quite boring without it but consequently had to carry my I-Phone the entire way which was fine, but a little bit of a pain since I got so sweaty.  Total time was 1:48:11.  Splits were: 7:47, 7:53, 7:44, 7:40, 7:43, 7:45, 7:51, 7:53, 7:7, 7:46, 7:37, 7:38, 7:38, 7:17 (7:43 avg).  Breakfast - eggs benedict and turkey bacon.  Lunch - leftover taco pie.  Dinner - chicken breast with asparagus and brown rice.  Weighed myself before/after, and lost 7 lbs. on this run - crazy how much I sweat!  58.5 miles this week, 34.5 miles in August, 1434.5 miles in 2013.  Solid week!

Easy running the next couple days before I jump into a tough 400 meter workout.  Then Vegas this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment