Tuesday, March 19, 2013

AOH 5K and St. Pat's Parade Day Run Recap

Ryan Hall out of Boston :(, Boston brew, NYC Half, analysis from race, Ritz finishes thrid sans sleepGerman Fernandez, greatest runner of all time, Chris Derrick, and the lovely Miss Kara Goucher.



Tuesday, March 5th - 6 miles

Wednesday, March 6th - 8 miles (2 up, 3 x 1 mile, 4 x 200, 2 down).  SLU track with Craig, and a nice workout for me.  Felt pretty good all around (minus bathroom breaks in between), and wasn't working too hard.  I'll take it.  Splits were: 5:55, 5:54, 5:50; 42, 40, 39, 36.  AOH 5K is looking more likely now!

Thursday, March 7th - 7 miles.  Bear with me, I don't remember a lot of these runs, but wrote down the mileage.

Friday, March 8th - 4 miles

Saturday, March 9th - 3 miles

Sunday, March 10th - 7 miles (2 up, AOH 5K, 2 down).  Garbage, waste of time for me.  Windy day, and just blew up during the race.  Legs felt pretty tired even during the warmup, and thought I could just hang in there and work with some people to bring it home with a decent time.  Went out first mile with hard effort and split 6:20.  Going up that hill, started losing ground and multiple people were passing me and was getting demoralized.  Split the halfway point in 10 something, and my race was over.  My legs were shot, and mentally was done.  So slowed down to tempo pace and in essence gave up and jogged it in.  One of the lowest points of my running career ever.  40 miles this week, 55 miles in March, 396 miles in 2013.

Mike and I postrace

Monday, March 11th - 6 miles.  BRR run with Craig, Justin, and Fenley.  Fenley and I ran the last mile hard together.  49-50 minutes total.  Had a epiphany at work during the day, and decided to ask my buddy Kyle to help me out with workouts and getting me back into decent shape for my upcoming races.  So I have a new coach now!

Tuesday, March 12th - 9 miles (2 up, Reverse Ladder workout: 2K (6:17), 1 mile (6:08), 1K (3:42), 800 (2:55), 400 (1:15), 200 (33), 2 down).  Another freaking windy day, and met up at SLU track with a big group to bust out this workout.  Kyle met me up there, and we laid out the parameters of the workout and desired splits which were modified slightly because of the wind.  Anyways, Gabe and Fenley jumped in and did the workout with me, and we took turns leading on the back stretch where there was a nasty, nasty headwind.  Felt like I was jogging during the 2K and mile, but had to dig a little deep on the last few reps - all in all, very successful, and felt great having some help out there as well as Coach Kyle calling out my splits and talking me through the workout.

Wednesday, March 13th - 4 miles.  Early morning run, then went to see Bon Jovi at night!  Hilarious to see all the 40-50 year old women busting out the skinny jeans and teasing up their hair.

Thursday, March 14th - 4 miles easy.  Talked with Coach Kyle - plan is to run St. Pat's as a cutdown tempo.  Start at 6:50, cut down 10 seconds per mile until the end.  The goal was to get a good workout, pass a ton of people for confidence, and have fun!  With my recent meltdown at AOH, wasn't sure how this would feel, but in theory this should be very doable.

Friday, March 15th - 3 miles - nice and easy.  Legs feel nice and relaxed for St. Pats!

Saturday, March 16th - 9 miles (2 up, ST. PATRICK'S DAY PARADE RUN, 2 down).  Chilly, windy day yet again.  Got downtown early, then warmed up with a few of the other Big River runners before walking to the start.  Fenley and Julie were along for the workout, so got out of the starting gates with them.  We started the race, and felt pretty good the first mile (went out hard to get in front of some idiots that lined up in front of us that shouldn’t have been there), but got settled into pace once we got on Tucker.  2nd mile and 3rd mile, felt like the effort was a lot more intense but most likely from hills and nasty headwind (and having virtually no one to work with).  Fenley and I were basically passing everyone at this point, then made the turn back towards the city, while remembering to ease back a little for that last annoying long hill that everyone seems to forget about right before we turn on Olive.  Coming down Olive, I felt better and in control and laid the hammer on the last quarter of the last mile coming up that last Market hill.  I am pretty sure 0 people passed me after the first mile – pretty good feeling.  With hard effort all the way through, could have hit at least mid 31, if not faster, but was happy to execute the times on a tough, hilly course.  Cooled down with Gabe, Craig, Julie, Nikki, and Fenley afterwards, then had a blast downtown for post race celebration!  Splits were: 6:46, 6:43, 6:34, 6:15, 6:08 (32:37 overall).



Big River Crew

Asians!

Class of 97

Sunday, March 17th - 5 miles.  Out and back on Old Faithful with Pat, Crystal, and Jon.  Crystal's return day!  Easy paced run in the sleet/snow on a nasty, chilly morning, but good to have the running wife back in full force.  Felt sluggish, but we definitely negative split every mile about 10 seconds (starting from 8:33).  Low 8 average overall.

Monday, March 18th - 6 miles.  Ran with Crystal and Craig for group run.  Did a mile easy with Craig before and after our run.  Crystal had 30 minutes easy, so we did out and back from BRR to River Des Peres.  Of course the pace was too fast, and legs were feeling a little sluggish so the "cooldown" mile with Craig was nice.  30:42 for 4 miles with Crystal, 7:55 pace overall according to Craig.

3 more weeks until Shamrock!  Coach Kyle has laid out my plan through the end of April, and very excited to hit the workouts he's laid out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment