Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Training begins...

PREVAIL - PORTRAIT OF A PROFESSIONAL RUNNER from Bryan Tosh on Vimeo.

Meb, more MebBolt's motivation, Hoyt statue in Boston, Amy Hastings staying in Providence, new indoor marathon record, and the U.S. elites running Boston!


New Boston Marathon jacket for 2013.  Looks like they're recycling colors from 08/09.  I still like mine better :)

Thursday, January 3rd - 0!  Legs were destroyed, cold/flu/something is destroying my system so took a much deserved day off.

Friday, January 4th - 0!  Left work early and ended up in an urgent care clinic since I had been pretty sick all week.  The main thing was to check up on strep throat, since a buddy of mine had just gotten diagnosed with it.  Cleared of all that, thank goodness.

Saturday, January 5th - 0!  In Champaign for the day for the Illini/OSU basketball game.  Big win against #8, and a great time back in my old stomping grounds!  Still feeling like crap, the small vacation continues...



Sunday, January 6th - 0!  Considered running at night, but it was pretty icy outside.  So continued on my sabbatical of sorts.  21.5 miles this week, 11.5 miles in January, 11.5 miles in 2013.  Not off to a great start, but need to get my legs back.

Monday, January 7th - 9 miles (6 miles + drills a.m., 3 miles p.m.)  Up and at 'em bright and early with Crystal.  Well, actually it wasn't bright, since it was still pitch black.  I have definitely not adjusted to the time change yet!  We ran our new town loop to the track, did drills, then headed back.  ~7:57 pace in the a.m., and legs were a little tired but not too bad.  More lethargic from waking up uber early, and my cold.  Hit my 270 loop when I got home late at night - nice and easy.  No watch, but the effort was very easy.  Afterwards, watched the atrocity of a national championship game.  Pretty much a waste of my time, but congrats to Nick Saban and his team.  I can't even hate him anymore, he's so good.  Just ridiculous how great that program is.

Tuesday, January 8th - 7 miles (2 up, 3 x (2 x 200, 1 x 400), 2 down).  SLU track workout after work.  Weather is starting to warm up, so did my first run in awhile sans jacket.  Caught Crystal at the end of her workout, so did a warmup (her cooldown) and discussed time goals for this workout.  Since I hadn't done much speedwork in awhile, this was designated as a rust buster/turnover workout and didn't want to press too hard.  So the goals were 38-39 on the 200's, and 1:18-1:20 on the 400's.  My hip flexors felt locked in, and my range of motion was limited so I had the shuffle going.  Forgot my watch, but I was using my phone (except for 400 #2 where Crystal timed me impromptu which let me run more freely).  Workout was nailed, but was pretty tired at the end.  I killed the last 2-400's, which wasn't the plan and definitely will be feeling those.  I really need to work on my pacing.  Splits were: (36, 36, 1:16), (37, 36, 1:12 (oops)), (37, 36, 1:12).  Very pleased.

Easy mileage for the next couple days, then tempo Friday at Forest Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment