Thursday, September 20, 2012

Vegas bound!


Ed Whitlock runs 1:38 half at the age of 81, NYC field bulks up, more NYC newsRitz, more on Ritz getting ready for Chicago, Shalane running the Worlds in Bulgaria, Rock n Roll series on sale, Lance finds a half triathlon to compete in, great grocery foods for runners, David Rudisha, and the lovely Miss Kara Goucher.

Tuesday, September 17th - 8 miles (2 up, 3x1 mile, 3 down).  Best running day of the year weatherwise, and went up to the track to meet Crystal and Fenley at the SLU track.  Legs were like jello, but warmed up 2 easy before hitting the workout.  Goal was to hit 6 minute pace, with half the rep time for rest (3 minutes).  Had trouble getting locked in, but made it through the workout ok.  Fenley ran with me, and was good to work with him.  Faster pace feels so foreign, but I know it's still early in the process and need to keep this up.  On the last 2, had to work on the last lap to hit the split, but felt controlled.  Cooled down, stretched thoroughly, and called it a day.  Pleased with this workout.  Mile repeat splits were: 6:00, 6:02, 6:00.

Wednesday, September 18th - 8 miles.  Ran late after work.  Too much to do with errands, packing for Vegas, cutting hair, and run.  Eventually got out and did an improvised loop - trail towards troy for 4 miles, village circle an a mile, then 270 loop for 3 miles.  Perfect running weather again, and went by feel which ended up being a little quicker since today should have been slow recovery pace.  It got dark fast, so had a surge on the trail, then at the 270 loop where there was a mysterious car parked on the shoulder, very close to where I run.  Not worth stopping and looking, so picked it up and got the heck out of dodge.  Labored slightly the last 3 miles, but more from fatigue.  64:13 total - too fast, but felt overall ok.

Thursday, September 19th - 7 miles.  Realistically, my last good opportunity for a run.  The plan was to really hit all my runs the first half of this week, since I take off for Vegas tonight and most likely won't run much there.  So dragged Crystal out for a 5 a.m. start (yes, I dragged HER out believe it or not!), which I could tell she wasn't happy about (her texts in the white)


Well I made it on time and didn't get killed, and we ran trail loop on Home Depot.  Left hip was bothering me when I woke up, and was really hurting when we got started.  Eventually got more comfortable, and battled through some light rain and lightening before finishing out.  Contemplated the 8th mile, but had zero range of motion on my left hip and ended up going home to stretch and some uber-foam rolling.  1:00:13 total for the run.

30 miles into the week - very pleased with the last month or so of running, and whatever else I get in this weekend will be nice and easy.  Vegas-bound tonight for my buddy Goose's Bachelor Party, which should be absolutely ridiculous.  Sin City - here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment